Need guard help...

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dogs,
I've got a new blade on the bench and it looks perfect for the double guard that I've been wanting to learn how to make. Basically, the guard is approximately 1 inch thick (looks wide) with both sides curving inward, I haven't seen any material at the supply houses that I could get that would work. Is it possible to stack stainless or maybe high carbon (1084) or mild steel to make it into one piece, not forge welded or bonded in anyway? I hope I'm explaining it good enough for everyone to understand, if it helps, let me know I've already got a drawing of what I want to do, I can add it if anyone needs it, Thanks Rex

A picture is worth a lot more words than I have...

OK Dogss, I know how great you all are, this post has had 69 hits and 0 responses, so I figured I didn't explain it very well, soooo here's a drawing of what I'm attempting to make. Keep in mind the lines in the middle of the, I guess, ferrule area were me working with ideas. Thanks Dogs, Rex

Attachments

• Scan1.BMP.jpg
    Scan1.BMP.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40
So What exactly are you asking?

Are you just looking for 1x1 square stainless bar stock to make the guard out of?

If you cannot find anything thick enough just use a couple pieces with spacer material in between.

There are I lot of different ways to make a guard with double ears. If forging is out of the equation, I would suggest making it in pieces that are pinned from the butt side and not coming through the face of the guard. Do the rough shaping of the eared section then when you get it close add the aft sections of the guard. I like the use of pins because it allows you to align the guard pieces with the rest of the handle. Mild steel is easy to work, comes in all sizes and is easy to torch color or hot blue for a beautiful effect.

I would be interested to see what you come up with.

Fred

Pm me your address and I can send you a piece of 1" X2" 1018 if hat would work for you.
Stan

I will have to agree with you on what you want. Im by no means a guard maker , even though I know I could its way cheaper to buy one from jantz . If you were wanting a cast iron, or a damascus gaurd then thats another story. You will need to solder up the gaps after with low temp solder. I would use 3/8 thick brass x 1 x 1.5 inches long pending how big the bade is . You could make a longer fingers say 2 inch and curve them as desired. Brass is very easy to work with and would recomend that for the first few gaurds. I used small files to fine tune so the gaps are not to big if they are they will be hard to solder. You will need 2 brass pins and I would solder them. hope I was of some help. kellyw

Yes, you can stack pieces to make the guard. There will be a visible line but if you sand it or polish enough it is minimal. The is exactly what I did on this knife.
Custom%2017.jpg

Custom%2018.jpg

you can get just about any thickness of stainless at MSC Supply. Real cheap too! They also have 440c and d2 and a2. Plus any thickness of paper. linen, or canvas natural micarta. all really cheap

Thanks. I now keep quite a bit of thicker stainless on hand for doing those thick guards but at the time I couldn't find it so I made in two pieces.

Thanks Guys,
I knew if I explained it better, I would get the help I needed, I'm going to try it in both wrought iron, and possibly mild steel and maybe stainless, I'll try the wrought first, if I don't like it I'll try the next. I really don't want a visible seem between the layers, so I may use a spacer as well.
Mike, where did get the thicker stainless?
Thanks DOGS!!! You all are great!!!! Rex

MSC Industrial Supply
1-800-645-7270
mscdirect.com
free catalog the size of a small house!
look under raw materials

Back