Educating The Public on Customs

Hankins

Since the slowdown in the market have had to get a "Real Job" ;) to make ends meet. Well long story short I wind up working with a Dyed in the Wool Lib...
Mind you I know there are many liberals who are into knives and are very Welcome in my camp!
First hint was when I was talking about going to the range for some Practical Pistol practice. Gave me the Look and follows it by "People should not be allowed to own High powered weapons!" Well that started it for that day...
Continues into the debate of self defense Etc and how He has never been a victim and has never feared for his safety.
Never one to back down a Few weeks later I show him my website and say this is what I do for my hobbie/living. Not impressed we go into the debate about the use of such "Dangerous Weapons" :eek:. My counter is that I have never seen a Knife (Or gun for that matter) jump off a shelf and hurt someone.
He says "Well it's the "Intended Purpose" that he objects to". Which I counter with 95% of all Fatal encounters with a Blade are done with a Kitchen knife, or some cheap arse $1 store blade NOT a $200 -$300 custom. Normally a Custom Knife that gets used is for hunting or in a Legit Combat situation.
Yesterday I was explaining the Artistry involved in many Custom Knives and how many are special purpose designed. Go my buddies Todd Kopp website and show him some of Todd's work... His jaw drops and he goes on and on about how it really is an art.
Today "Victory" he is asking if I can make him a Slip Joint for his father and that he would buy one like that...
After I make it and gift it to him for his Dad the conversion will be complete:bud:

Awesome. Funny thing is that it just takes some education for these libs who have been beleiving a bunch fo tag lines promoted by some celebrity or politician that doesn't in the real world.

Charlie

Well Done.
Some folks have a problem, I do, with gifts or "free" stuff. So if he balks you can offer to let him have it at "materials" or some such. Just a thought.
A great story and good way to handle it.
Dozier

Believe it or not, I get similar responses out of gun toteing conservatives and soldiers when it comes to custom knives. I usually get, "I can get a knife just like that at Wal-Mart for $30", or "Why would I need one of those? I was issued a Gerber Multi-tool". These are some of he same guys who own the top of the line bows and hunting rifles and whose family cars cost $50K plus.

Last weekend I was at a team mate's promotion party and he said something to me about the knife I gave away on Monday night. The next thing I knew he was telling his wife all about it and then told me he wanted to buy one of them. I'm gonna start a batch of them next week for the team.

Of course, my small win was nothing compared to your giant victory Hankins. Great job brother!

Last edited:
You handled that real well. I never ran into that problem where I live. Hunting is the biggest pastime and everyone seems to carry a knife even a lot of women.

Larry

I am alot like you rather than getting into a heated debate, I opt for teaching and informing people as you did. Its so much easier to smash down a brick wall from the side with many blows rather than the head on approach.

Awesome. I did the same thing with an animal rights person. After explaining how I taught Hunter Ed to bring people closer to nature, safety and that hunting doesn't have to be cruel. Told her I also rescued wild animals for the humane society, she realized that not all the bull activists spread is true and all hunters were neanderthals. You always have to be very cool in dealing with opposing ideals.

Pat

Reminds me of a lady who asked me why I was wearing a camo jacket. I told her that it was warm. Then she asked me why I bought it. I told her that it was on the rack marked 50% off. That left her really confused.

Doug Lester

Will be ordering a set of folder blanks from USA knifemakers supply this week
Anybody suggest a Video or Tutorial... Will be a slipjoint

Back