Alternative Raffle Payment Sources

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
I know there have been some troubles doing raffles. People have been getting thier Pay Pal accounts suspended.

I did some research and came up with a couple of alternatives. These places look good and are recommended by some of the sites out there that are anti-Pay Pal.

Here are the links; http://www.paypay.com/ https://www.alertpay.com/

If some more folks on KD could check these out and chime in on thier thoughts maybe we could find a way to get these raffles done with a secret handshake.

Just a thought...

Can you send money to them via PP though? If people would just refrain from putting raffle anywhere in a payment it would not be a problem. A raffle is considered a from of gambling and PP wants NOTHING to do with anything gambling related. AFAIK they got their cage rattled a few years back when the poker boom was big and people were able to use them to send money in to play. After that they want nothing to do with ANY form of gambling, not even a church bingo game. Anything that involves an element of chance and money they avoid like the plague.

Can you send money to them via PP though? If people would just refrain from putting raffle anywhere in a payment it would not be a problem.QUOTE]

The problem is people are not refraining from putting "Raffle" in thier payment info. No matter how many times it's said or how big and bold you state it people are still doing it. This leads to receipient accounts being suspended and closed.

The two sites I listed are like PP, but have less restrictions on what you may send money for. I know some people won't want to sign up and use a new site. I'm just putting this out there for an alternative since one maker has already lost his PP account.

We could always go back to smail mail and checks I guess, but raffles would take weeks to complete.

I think we need to change the way people view our forum...I think you need to be signed in to see the classified section. right now anyone that comes to knife dogs can see the raffles. PP can watch every thing that is going on.... if they had to log in to see those section. like some other forums it might help....

I do like Jeff's Idea for having to be a signed in member to view classifieds.

The only problem with that is less chance of people selling to non members!!

The only problem with that is less chance of people selling to non members!![/QUOTE]

Ernie, a paid sub-forum would take care of that. That's like having your own website - do what you want, when you want.

There are many types of payment services. The bottom line is not one of them allows involvement in gambling. A raffle is gambling.

I lost, gone, been banned from my accounts (both of them) because some one wrote "raffle" when paying. As much as we try to tell people, it continues to happen. It will happen again. It may be that we run these by PM only.

I got caught and they had every right to can me.

If you folks didn't know the risks, which I did, then know them now.

BC

Last edited:

The only problem with that is less chance of people selling to non members!![/QUOTE]

Ernie, a paid sub-forum would take care of that. That's like having your own website - do what you want, when you want.

There are many types of payment services. The bottom line is not one of them allows involvement in gambling. A raffle is gambling.

I lost, gone, been banned from my accounts (both of them) because some one wrote "raffle" when paying. As much as we try to tell people, it continues to happen. It will happen again. It may be that we run these by PM only.

I got caught and they had every right to can me.

If you folks didn't know the risks, which I did, then know them now.

BC

Bill, sorry to hear that. That really sucks.

I forgot to add:

They can hold any money in the closed account for 6 months. After that time peroid, they'll issue a check.

It's all in the fine print :)

BC

I hear you Bill about the paid sub forum.

Also sorry to hear about your account getting closed.

Can you tell who wrote ''Raffle'' in the payment?

It sucks that paypal has rules like these, especially for honest raffles.

Can you tell who wrote ''Raffle'' in the payment?

Yes and the man owned up to it and apologized publicly on the raffle thread. That was his idea, not mine nor did I ask him to. I let him know by PM what had happend.

It was an honest mistake, as were the previous two times with different forum members running raffles. No one willfully would shut some one down - those are the risks you take running a raffle.

BC

Last edited:
I was just thinking about it and I think that doing a pm for spots then the raffle holder sending a invoice to the person wanting spots would be worth a try.

That way if they pay through the invoice there would be no need for them to write anything in the memo box.

We are not going to get into a PayPal bashing conversation here.
I understand the frustration but follow the rules.

Personally, I would like to see some alternatives.

We are not going to get into a PayPal bashing conversation here.
I understand the frustration but follow the rules.

Personally, I would like to see some alternatives.

Sorry, If it sounded like I was bashing paypal. I did not mean to come off that way. I personally like paypal for transfering money on the net and I use it anywhere I can!!

Tracy, I'm not sure how difficult this would be to set up/maintain, but, what if we had a system similar to a "shopping cart" here? Where we could have the price per chance be set, and then people could purchase them, and then be able to pay with the methods similar to usaknifemaker.com? I do not know how much of a hassle that would be to collect the money, what the fees would be, or how the money could then be transfered to the rightful recipient, but it could be set up to have the proper price and amount of slots available to stop any confusion there.

Mike, Bill told me your idea earlier. It's very clever and something tangible can be sold that includes a chance. I won't be setting that up here in the near *foreseeable* future as I am covered up and can't take on one more techy thing that consumes days sometimes.
I won't personally risk my PayPal account in any way for TOS violation.

I will look for an alternative electronic payment method that doesn't have the downside of being locked out of Paypal. I look forward to hearing any feedback about any of them.

On a side note, this software has the ability to "hide from view" any/all forum to non-registered users. At any given time, 1/3 of the active users are non-registered. At any given time, these people are current or potential customers for all of us. I won't block them from viewing any forum as they are potential great new KnifeDogs...

thanks for your understanding...

Just a dumb question but would this work?

What if the person hosting the raffle added a buy it now button from paypal into thier post?

Can that be done or is it a dumb idea?:confused:

I was just looking through my paypal account and it says you can add a Buy it now button with price options so the person buying can just add the button to their post and then when someone wantsto buy spots they would just have choose how many.
:confused:

Back