NWGS mod

C

CShepherd

I built my NWGS and love it. Still working on getting out the little bit of a wobble but even with that it's light years above the 1x30 I was using.

Anyway, when planning it I chose to go with the flat platten at first with the plans to build a slack belt, 8" contact wheel, and small wheel attachments later on as funds allowed.

I ran into a little snag. I use a filling guide to get good plunge lines and on the NWGS it wouldn't work. When beveling the right side of the blade (which put the guide on the left side of the flat platten) the guide hit the large steel piece that holds the wheels and platten. Got tolookign and realized there was a lot of steel there that was not needed so I went to town with my circular saw with a metal cutting disc in it.

Voila!
Slackmodification2.jpg

This gave me what I believe is plenty of room for basic slack belt operation such as shaping handles and sharpening convex edges.

I can also put the flat platten back on and have clearance for the guide I use.

Slackmodification1.jpg

I can pretty much take off or add the flat platten in just a few seconds more than switching to a slack belt attachment and I figure I saved a bunch on the 2 extra wheels I would have to buy.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Charlie

Good thinking.

I think the NWG is a never ending WIP because there are so many ways you can go with the attachments for each individual's needs.

Thanks guys. I have a very limited budget and thought it would be a great way to get two attachments I wanted. Now granted I will probably get a slack attachment eventually to get 2 more sizes of contact wheels but for now this will work.

Charlie

nice mod, that slack area is probably all you will ever need.

Back