Need heat treat recipe for 1095

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Some one asked me for a good heat treat recipe for 1095 blades and spring. I find I don't have a tempering table for back springs.

Post your 1095 heat treat data please.

625° to 675°, depending on the amount of travel in the spring. I would recommend 650° if not sure. I like to temper in a lead bath, using a temp controlled bullet casting pot. You get a much better heat soak that way.

Here's an old blacksmith's and gun maker's method for tempering that I use for carbon steel knife springs and it hasn't failed me yet.

After hardening the spring, I put it in a pan and pour in just enough oil to cover it. (I use used crankcase oil). I heat the container of oil with a torch until the oil is hot enough to keep burning and leave it until the oil is burned off and it cools. I don't know the temperature of burning oil, but it's quick, simple and it works every time.

bd : this is on that Stacy says to use.

slow heat to 1525 , soak for 4 to 5 min bigger blade , smaller blades 3 to 4 min.
Oil should be 130 to 140f. Park#50
Temp @450 2 times for 2 hours at a time, with cool-down between

vern

Tracy, The old blacksmith process that Keith discribed above does work, I dont know what the sicence or magic is but I do know what the results are. I guess that some things just have to be taken on faith:) Good luck.

Jim

Back