Screen Names ????

Dwane Oliver

OK , take this for what it is. A rant....mabey . An observation........for sure.
Why do people not use their real name on a forum such as this ? I could understand not using your real name on the Michale Jackson Fan Club Forum , but here ???
I want people to know who I am , where I am , what I am. I dont really care what people think. I'm not scared of someone finding me , calling me .....whatever.
I have to wonder if people dont use their name because they plan to be dishonest at some point.

So post up , whatever your name is..... and explain to me why you didnt use your real name 2thumbs

Dwane

Hi Dwane,

We've had a similar thread started on this subject and it wound up being canned for several different reasons.

So, we'll see how this one goes....

BC

Wooops , didnt mean to open a "can" O worms , just curious thats all.

Mods , please delete this if it gets out of hand.

Dont get outa hand people......lol

Dwayne,

I am Dave Cowles. I believed I introduced myself in my introductory post. My username is my nickname in "Real Life." Despite being a graphic artist, I usually have my photo as my avatar.

People are entitled to their privacy. Many like the anonymity of posting behind a user name, whether it is a vengeful spouse, over controlling boss, big brother, or other entity that makes them nervous about speaking freely on-line.

There are definite security issues with identity theft on-line where "Too Much Information" is not necessarily what went on behind closed doors during your last trip to the proctologist!

The military always used a "need to know" basis for sharing information. Once its out here, it is out of your control.

Do you post your name, location, and birth date on your profile? If so, why? Everyone doesn't need to know everything about you for you to be real or honest.

Lurkers who play with knives.

I'm a pretty sturdy guy, but I don't want every wacko on the internet showing up at my door.

Food for thought.

:bud:

Not really sure how using a moniker leads you to believe someone may be dishonest in any way. I have given my name to every one I have ever dealt with. If someone refuses to give you their name before a deal then that is a red flag.

Not really sure why you would think it's shady to use something other than your real name. Your a knife maker and using your real name is a good idea. For me I don't see why it matters. huh1

Dwayne,

I am Dave Cowles. I believed I introduced myself in my introductory post. My username is my nickname in "Real Life." Despite being a graphic artist, I usually have my photo as my avatar.

People are entitled to their privacy. Many like the anonymity of posting behind a user name, whether it is a vengeful spouse, over controlling boss, big brother, or other entity that makes them nervous about speaking freely on-line.

There are definite security issues with identity theft on-line where "Too Much Information" is not necessarily what went on behind closed doors during your last trip to the proctologist!

The military always used a "need to know" basis for sharing information. Once its out here, it is out of your control.

Do you post your name, location, and birth date on your profile? If so, why? Everyone doesn't need to know everything about you for you to be real or honest.

Lurkers who play with knives.

I'm a pretty sturdy guy, but I don't want every wacko on the internet showing up at my door.

Food for thought.

:bud:

Good info Dave I never thought of it like that. I guess I'm a little naive when it comes to some things.

I was going to go on and on , but it aint worth it. Dave pretty much cleared it up for me. Thanks Dave

Dwane

I don't mind usernames as long as they have their name in their profile. I have seen people trying to sell knives without giving their name. If they have no intention of selling anything than I don't really care one way or the other.

Can't add anything to what Rock said. My nickname is Moon I've gone by that all my life,it's on my cards. More people know me by Moon than my real name.

cubby is what people know me as on the internet. i got advice, customers, and friends who have known me as "cubby" since long before i made my first knife. so thats what i go with. and my name is so hard to remeber, its just easier!

joe

3585842397_da36e0d034_o.jpg

I became Trent U. Rock around 1994
This "new internet thingy" was only a few years old (I think I was top dog at my college with a 28.8K modem!!)
I realized then that the rest of my internet life was gonna be registering and passwords :mad:

Seems like everything required that you REGISTER
A couple times, I was thinking to my self, "Man...hmmmm..Do I want to give my REAL name on this site?"
So I made up the Trent Rock name
It protects my privacy and it makes it easier to remember my usernames

Oh yeah.....my internet life HAS been one long series of usernames and passwords:eek:
Remembering passwords is getting harder and harder as I age:unsure:

I dream of the day when all I have to do is put my eyeball in retinal scanner and I can log in to ALL my web sites/forums at the same time

Remembering passwords is getting harder and harder as I age:unsure:

http://keepass.info/ Fantastic little program. Stores everything you need for anything that requires a username/password. Requires a password to get into so it's not easy for anyone to grab your info. But one you open the safe you can have access to however many usernames and passwords you have. If you really want to be secure you can even require having a "master key" which can be basically anything from a picture to a document, etc that is required to open the safe up along with the password...If you want to be super secure. For example you can have the key stored on a jump drive and not be able to open the safe without inserting that flash drive into the PC.... If you want that level of security. Just make sure you save any changes you make or add to the safe before you close it out. I've been using it for over a year and thing it's fantastic.

OK , take this for what it is. A rant....mabey . An observation........for sure.
Why do people not use their real name on a forum such as this ? I could understand not using your real name on the Michale Jackson Fan Club Forum , but here ???
I want people to know who I am , where I am , what I am. I dont really care what people think. I'm not scared of someone finding me , calling me .....whatever.
I have to wonder if people dont use their name because they plan to be dishonest at some point.

So post up , whatever your name is..... and explain to me why you didnt use your real name 2thumbs

Dwane
I have always made my real name known to anyone that places an order, but I am in possession of my grandchildrens knife collection that has a "lot" of customs in it, not to mention the old production ones. Five hundred plus knives. I really do not want to advertise where I live nor make the collection an easy target of thieves. Google has an actual drive by picture of my house with my name and street address shown in it. The collection is secured by a secondary house alarm, plus the 12ga. But why ask for trouble.
Just my .02
Jim

Before joining KnifeDogs, I always just used my 45Warrior or Warrior45. I am a .45acp/1911 fanatic and that was the significance behind it.

Frank Niro started a thread sometime back and got me thinking. At first I didnt see the big deal, but what he said made me think a little and started making sense.

I decided to switch to my real name and now that I am working at becoming a knife-maker it makes even more sense now.

I think its all up to you as far as what you want to do, or be known as. But people wont know who you are unless you give them an idea:D

Chris Martin AKA 45Warrior:D

I know why Dave Cowles uses a nickname. With the given names of David or Dave, and being two good sized guys with bald heads, silvery goatees, and EXCEPTIONAL good looks, it would be very easy to confuse the two of us. Choosing "Rock" keeps him from being mistaken for David Broadwell! :D

I've used the screen name "Dbl-Edge" for a long time. It started with ebay. On a couple of forums I set myself up with it. That was a mistake. I now use my real name. Since I'm a knifemaker I want people to easily know who's doing the posting. I guess I could use a picture of myself as my avatar, but I'll leave that to my friend Rock!

Like LarryB. I don't mind nicknames too much as long as there is a name in the profile.

I can understand why individuals choose to use or not use thier actual names for thier screen names on various sites. Sometimes we just want a little privacy. My very first e-mail address assigned to me at work was "murphda" which is a standard formulation used by the company I worked for at the time (first five letters of your last name followed by the first two letters of your first name). When I opened my first personal e-mail address I took the lazy way out and used the same name but added the #2 as I am the "II".

I have used the same screen name for every site I have joined for the past twelve years. I tried using others a few times but found that I would continuously forget what they were if I spent any significant time away. When I become a serious maker and begin to sell knives, I may consider changing my screen name on sites where I sell.

Most of you guys as well as everyone else in the world I deal with know me as "Murph". What can I say, with a last name like Murphy, it's a nick name you get stuck with. The only people I know who do not refer to me as "Murph" are my immediate family memners (they each have a variety of other names they use for me depending on what smart@$$ remarks I may have made or what prank I may have pulled).

My name is Michael but I use Standingbear as my screen name on all the sights,
it is my Indian spirit name given to me by a friend who was 3/4 Lakoda Souix after I asked him about spirit names, He gave it to me a few weeks later.
I am about 1/16 Miami on my fathers side 2thumbs

Back