Charge a tax and other questions.

Tod Lowe

Hey Guys.
Im going to try and start selling on the Internet now. I have a few questions.

I have a buy it now button set up on my website. Do I charge my states sales tax on the knife?

At what point do you stop flying under the radar and become a legit business?
I read the "what business entity should I be" thread and never could decide. I guess an LLC?
Why fly under the radar anyway other then not having to mess with being a business?

I have a knife for sale on my website. I never did see on the pay-pal site how to have the quantity as "one" in case the improbable happens and two people hit buy it now at the same time.

It obviously depends on your state laws, but generally you have to charge state sales tax if the buyer is also in your state.

It obviously depends on your state laws, but generally you have to charge state sales tax if the buyer is also in your state.

Yeah, When I was talking to a cpa he said that I only charge sales tax when the knife is being sold in state.

Why not? Im trying to do it the right way.

I know you are but you never know who is reading this. The questions you ask are in good faith but can be interpreted in the wrong way. If you can't see that than your on your own.

You are not required to collect Ky state sales tax on anything sold and/or delivered out of state. In state, yes.

However, Ky does expect you to pay KY tax on anything you buy from out of state.

If a local customer askes me if I charge tax I answer "No I don't charge tax, the state does, and I am required to collect it."

Back