Damascus Art Dagger

Steven Kelly

Forum Owner & Moderator
My son Mike came up and spent the past week with me. It was the best birthday present any dad could ask for!! When he got here, he told me he wanted to build a damascus Dagger. Now you have to understand that he is a 21 year old who has never built a knife before. I tried to explain to him that a dagger was probably not a good choice for a first knife. But, did I mention he is 21?? Oh ya, and really stubborn. So, needless to say, he began building damascus for his dagger. Then he designed what he wanted to look like. That was the moment I knew there was no way he could pull this thing off. It was not only a dagger. But, a wild fantasy art dagger. I tried to explain that I would help him as much as I could, but, this was even a bit out of my league.
He spent about 6-8 hours a day for 6 days working on his dagger. And I am amazed at how awesome it turned out.
This just goes to prove that with a little help and direction from dad. And, a positive attitude anything is possible..

Not Bad for a first knife!!!
Dad is proud!!!

Specs are 16" over all length with a 9 1/2" blade of canned W-1,1080,1095 and pure nickel Damascus. The guard and butt cap are mild steel, and the handle is ebony.

Thanks for looking.
Please let us know what you think!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0026.jpg
    DSCN0026.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0028.jpg
    DSCN0028.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 76
Awesome job....looks like a very proud dad. I love it when my 21 year old spends time in the shop with me. Thanks for posting....2thumbs2thumbs

Whoa!! That thing is awsome & just crazy outstanding for a first knife! You should be a very proud dad. Looks like he has some serious skill. From a little help and training from you he could realy go places.

That dagger is exceptional for a first knife, even with dads help. Your son has talent and should be making knives along side dad.:)

Larry

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.. I am really proud of him for the patience and effort that it took. Not only to get this project done. But also, for being able to put up with my input all week!!

Knife # 1 or 100! That's outstanding! Your both proud!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Back