survival necker package

JMCNEES

Hi guys. I've got a new knife/package I would like to get some feedback on. The knife itself is a fairly basic neck sized knife at 5 3/8" OAL, 2 1/4" blade, 1/8" 1095 stock, G10 scales. The sheath has an "inlaid" compass on one side and mirror on the other. These are not removeable. At the top is a firesteel with a striker and whistle on the lanyard. Around the firesteel handle are two small fishooks wrapped underneath ~30' of 30# test braided Spiderwire fishing line. This stuff is stout and should double as lashing or snare material. There is ~ 6' of paracord coiled as the knife lanyard.
My thoughts behind this were not as a complete wilderness survival package, as the knife is obviously small for that. I thought it would be a good last ditch package that could be thrown around the neck for hunting, hiking,etc. Ideally it could be used in conjunction with a larger knife of course. I'm not sure I like the firesteel at the top of the sheath, but I didn't want it to interfere with drawing the knife.Thanks for looking. I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks,
Jonathan

Attachments

• DSC_0017_029.jpg
    DSC_0017_029.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0019_030.JPG
    DSC_0019_030.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0020_031.JPG
    DSC_0020_031.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0026_034.JPG
    DSC_0026_034.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0027_035.jpg
    DSC_0027_035.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 80
Jonathan,

Might I suggest a passaround? From looking at it, I would guess I would despise having the firesteel stick poking up towards my neck unless the whole thing was on a long chain and hung below the chest with the top around the sternum.

I would be inclined to say try to flatten the steel's handle down some and you could put it in a lot more places on the sheath. I understand wanting some kind of handle on it for use in the cold or when wearing gloves. Could you weld a coin or key-type handle on the end of it? Can you weld to them at all?

Could the compass be mounted on top of the blade area and the firesteel be placed behind the spine of the blade? I think this would give it better balance and a much narrower profile. How wide is the whole set up now?

Rock
(Outside looking in...)

Last edited:
I would think switching the compass and the firesteel would be much more comfy to have around the neck. Is there a particular reason why you couldn't do it that way?

Forgot to add, either way it's a nice setup!

Thanks guys. The main reason I put the firesteel up there was to not interfere with getting a grip on the knife when drawing. It does hang low enough not to be an issue with the neck but with the feedback I've been getting, I've got some new ideas. I plan to redo the sheath this weekend and post some more pics. Thanks.
Jonathan

Neat package!

I will say this, though. Test out your compass. I tested a similar set up for Blind Horse Knives last year. The compass was off by about 5-10 degrees, worse when the knife was in the sheath. The steel in the knife was slowly degrading the magnetism of the compass.

Well, after lots of good feedback, here's round two. The knife and firesteel did effect the compass but the eyelets don't, so I decided to put the compass and mirror in a seperate piece. As a matter of fact, the whole thing is a little more modular. The firesteel is screwed on and the mirror/compass rides on the chain above the sheath. Now the knife can be worn as an everyday necker without the extras or put together as a package. I still want to incorporate a light and may switch out the paracord for something smaller. I used a rubber band to hold the sheath and compass pieces from flopping when walking. This setup feels much more compact and the compass works when slid up the chain away from the knife instead of having to unsheath it. Please continue with the feedback, you guys have been great! Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachments

• DSC_0002_044.jpg
    DSC_0002_044.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0005_045.jpg
    DSC_0005_045.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0007_046.jpg
    DSC_0007_046.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0012_047.jpg
    DSC_0012_047.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0005_048.jpg
    DSC_0005_048.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
I like this much better, Jonathan! I guess a deciding design factor would have to be is it meant to be concealed or open carry.

I am not big on neck knives myself. I have a couple, but if I were to wear them, they would be concealed and as a back up. I think this would be great for camping, the glove box, or a bug out bag.

Back