Etched Finishes ?

D.BRODESS

Maybe this ? has already been ask. Ive seen some pretty kool etching of blades on here. I ve never done it! Is it ferric acid that you use? and how long do you soak the blade,I wouldnt want to ruin a good knife.
And about the pattern ! how do you get that,do you coat the blade with something to stop the acid. Afterwards, do you rinse in a certain chemical,water combination or something else.
Any information would be helpful.
thanks D.B

Mustard does little more than discolor. If you want a real etch use Clorox bleach after cold blue. It works very fast, so you have to check it in just a few minutes. If left in the bleach too long, it will look like a dug relic.

Wick,

You got any tips for getting an even cold blue ?

The one I did ended up with slight streaks from un-even bluing.

It came out cool but I was wondering about that ?

-Josh

Josh - I wipe the blue on wet with 4/0 steel wool to even it out.

One note here: NEVER mix the liquid blue and the bleach together - it creates a form of chlorine gas. Do this with LOTS of fresh air - even the light fumes you get when putting the blued blade into the bleach is not good to breath. I find suspending the blade in the bleach tip down gets the most even etch and yes as Wick noted this a VERY aggressive etch.

For a lighter, more controllable etch use Naval Jelly, but even it can/will pit the blade dependent on steel and time.

To kill the etch wash well with hot soapy water, rinse with boiling water and apply a good oil (I like food grade flax seed oil). Some folks use ammonia to kill the etch - if used follow up with the hot soapy water, etc.

Back