Monday Night Madness W.I.P.

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I decided to do an actual W.I.P. on this one because I really believe I can pull it off and finish at least one of these and make it look good. My last two projects, though flawed, have really boosted my confidence.

As you guys seen in one of my other threads, this is what the blades looked like after the initial grind. The dimention of the blades have now changed a bit due to the fact I ground the edge a bit too thin prior to HT and had to correct them.

attachment.php

Here is one of them after HT and hand polish to 2000 grit. There is a faint hamon on each blade which isn't visible in these photos. I need to work on my process for making the hamon "pop out". I guess I need to go back and read Stephen's tutorial a few more times.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here they are after ploishing up. I decided to completely cover the blades in masking tape in order to cut down on errors when cutting out my handle scales. In my last project, I ended up scratching the blade and had to try to clean it up after glue up. That didn't go too well.

attachment.php

And here I am cutting the scales from the layered tan G-10 and black fiber liner which I had glued up (no I didn't actually cut this one handed, someone had to take the photo and I was the only one available). The scales have now been sanded flat on my marble slab and I will double check the tang before glue up this afternoon. I was going to go ahead and get these glued up last night but I forgot to stop and pick up some vasaline. I used the last bit I had in a tube for the last two projects.

attachment.php

I'll take more photos this afternoon when I do the glue up.

Attachments

• HPIM1338.jpg
    HPIM1338.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Project3-1.jpg
    Project3-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Project3-3.jpg
    Project3-3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Project3-4.jpg
    Project3-4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Project3-5.jpg
    Project3-5.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Murph step back for a moment. Take a deep breath and remember to have fun and enjoy making this knife. You got the skills and drive. Now have fun with this. It looks great so far and Myself and all of the other dogs are behind you all the way. 8an't wait to see it finished.

Thank you for the encouragement guys. I had the chance to get these two glued up this afternoon.

First I did a quick mock up to insure that my measurements were correct. I left the masking tape on the blade this time and then coated the front of the scales and exposed portion of the blade with vasaline. After laying everything out and getting it in place, I gloved up, mixed the epoxy with a drop of flat black enamel, and then put everything together insuring to get epoxy into all of the crooks and crannies so to say.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If all goes well, I'll have the time to finish these up tomorrow and then get the sheaths pressed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• HPIM1501.jpg
    HPIM1501.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 109
  • HPIM1502.jpg
    HPIM1502.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 108
  • HPIM1503.jpg
    HPIM1503.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 107
  • HPIM1505.jpg
    HPIM1505.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 105
Lookin good Murph!
Is this the chisel ground blade?

I love the headline in the newspaper too." Women found scrubbing the floor."
OH NO! :D

For the record, I paid no attention to the articles. This was one kf thise weekly sales papers that I received in the mail. I did see that it was dated 17 Feb. I vuess they were a bit behind in mailing.

Yes these are the hollow chisel ground blades. I think the next ones will have to be flat ground. Thes little hollow grinds are a pain in the butt to hand sand. I went to 320gr on the grinder then to 2000gr by hand.

Update

After allowing the knives to set up for 24hrs I took them over to the shop and cleaned them up a bit. Here is a photo of the two after I rough shaped the handles.

attachment.php

And here is a photo of the almost completed project. I still need to finish sharpening the blade. I have the initial edge grind complete but need to polish the edge a bit. It will cut well, but does not shave yet.

attachment.php

I'll try to get the final package complete either later tonight or tomorrow morning. The only steps I have remaining are the final edge and to make the sheath. It shouldn't take me long to get the sheath made. I just have to make several trips back and forth to the shop in order to do it. I keep my press at the apartment and all of the other tools and supplies in the shop.

Attachments

• HPIM1508.jpg
    HPIM1508.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 59
  • HPIM1514.jpg
    HPIM1514.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 60
Jeff, the sad reality is .............if there is any Dog in the pack that could prdict the win, it's you. You have to be the luckiest Dog we have.

Thank you for the compliments guys. I will be starting a new thread tomorrow night where we will begin the Give Away. I need to get with Jeff and get advice on how to run this.

Back