First ever flipper design

jleiwig

This is a knife that I've had in my mind for a long time. This is probably the reason why I'm going to buy all the stuff to make my own knife.

My Marine buddy who's done three tours in the sandbox affectionately calls it the HAAJ.

Let me know what you think. It's a very rough draft that I drew in MS Paint at work today. :D

attachment.php

I plan to find some heavy cardboard and cut out a copy to see if everything works.

I also worked on my logo some. It needs a lot of help! LOL :p

attachment.php

Let me know what you think about either the knife or the logo. I'm thick skinned for the most part, so let me have it!

No offense but your design closely resembles the Creeps made by David Mosier which were designed by our forum member Midnight.

No offense taken. You can only design a knife so many ways I guess.

The body shape is actually taken from an Emerson 7b Wave crossed with a Benchmade VEX Tanto. It has a more pronounced bottom curve to fit better in my palm. The blade is similar to a Emerson CQC15 recurve tanto blade. And I haven't seen that mini gut hook on any commercial knife.

However in playing with a cardboard cutout I think I'll have to add even more curve to suit my hand. And I'm worried about how the grind will work out on the recurve tanto blade. I'm not at all experienced enough, but if you go, go all in right?

However all that aside, Midnight and Mr. Mosier designed/made a nice blade and if I made a knife even a quarter as nice as those I would be very very happy.

That's the reason I'm getting into making my own. I'm combining ideas in knives I've seen/held/used in to what I think makes my own perfect knife. :D

The Benchmade VEX

31OsFvTQNzL._SS500_.jpg

The Emerson 7b Wave

IMG_4464.jpg

And the CQC 15 Recurve Tanto
100_0118.jpg

Thanks,

Justin

No offense Chuck , but I have a MTech cheap POS knife for about 5 years , that closely resembles the knives you pictured. There are only so many ways you can make a good functioning folder look.

I am liking your design jleiwig, is it going to be hollow ground on the bottom and flat ground on the tip ?

Dwane

I am liking your design jleiwig, is it going to be hollow ground on the bottom and flat ground on the tip ?

Dwane

That's the plan for now. In practice we shall see. Of course that all comes after the grinder gets built and supplies purchased, so you may see it in 2015 or so I'm figgurin! 2thumbs

Back