My Ongoing Project (Almost Finished)

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I've been promising to actually complete one of my projects fro months now. I've made numerous mistakes on this one (Project #1) but have decided to complete it regardless. As you will notice, I made a major mistake on the handle (two actually) but I'm driving forward anyway.

I mismeasured my scales and for some reason didn't notice it til it was all glued up. I now have a fingernail gap pn the front of the scales. When I was grinding the scales to shape, my Loveless bolts came apart. The good news is that the slabsare still very solidly attached. I'm going to fill the voids tomorrow and try to finish the handle and put an edge on it tomorrow.

attachment.php

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, let me try this again!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Project1-2.jpg
    Project1-2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 143
Not slicing any water bottles with this one just yet. I've got to finish the handle and sharpen it first. I also need to touch up the blade because I scratched it a bit.

By the way, this will be my first completed knife in over 20 yrs. The last knife I finished, I was 12 yrs old. I need to get my buddy who now owns it to take a photo or two and send to me.

I made a major mistake on the handle (two actually) but I'm driving forward anyway.

Murph,
I'm still a newbie, but if I waited till I got my first one perfect, there never would have been a first one. And dude, that is one sweet blade! I mean for real, come on, it frightens me to think what your blades looked like when you were 12! I got to a point that no matter what it looked like it would still be finished, because I was missing out on the practice for the rest of the knife. When your at the beginning, every knife you make is another lesson, in every lesson there will be several mistakes and every knife is more practice. That IS the nature of knife making, but from what I can see from this one, your doing a fine job.

I made the same mistake you made on #2 or #3, if the knife I make doesn't end up with the right fit and finish, my son will readily take every one I make, for his collection, plus you can't have too many shop knives. Just remember, when you flat sand the back side of the handles put them together flat side to flat side and hold them up to the light, if you can see the slightest bit of light through the middle, it's not flat enough. Once you've got that whipped, lay them on the tang and do the same thing, again not the least little bit of light coming through where the slabs meet up with the tang. After you have the slabs flat with no light coming through and if you do have light coming through on the tang, you have to flat sand the tang. This is best done before you start your grinds if it's possible. Once you've got them both done, just be careful not to hit that area with a belt and finish your grinds, you should have a perfect fit up then. None the less that is a really nice looking knife, reminds me of that big Spyderco chopper I like so much, I think that one was a Hoffman design, if I'not mistaken. Just keep driving forward, all mistakes are a lesson, provided you learn form them. Trust me, it gets very frustrating making the same mistakes over and over and...you get the idea.

BTW, do you understand how to flat sand? I thought I did and I was doing it the hardest way (laziest way) possible. Just ask, every one here will help, these DAWGS are the very best the world has to offer, with out a doubt!
Hope this helps, Rex

Hay murph, looks good from here man. What is that, blackwood?
If thats the one your giving away, I want a shot at it.

BTW if you want to take the scales off , just drill out the bolts and put the knife in the freezer over night.
I have more blackwood if you need it.
Jerry

Not slicing any water bottles with this one just yet. I've got to finish the handle and sharpen it first. I also need to touch up the blade because I scratched it a bit.

By the way, this will be my first completed knife in over 20 yrs. The last knife I finished, I was 12 yrs old. I need to get my buddy who now owns it to take a photo or two and send to me.

It looks like it was made as a competition cutter. Nice big blade and comfortable handle. Looks like it could handle about anything after it gets it's edge. One of jeffs lanyards would look sweet on it too.

That will be cool to see that knife from 12 yrs old. What a great friend to still have it. That's to cool bro.

That is a really cool knife! It seems that the first few knifes have more mistakes than we would like, but after you make the mistakes you learn how to avoid them and how to fix them. The more knives you make the smaller the mistakes.

I can't wait to see this one done. I like it alot. Looks mean and looks like it could cause major damage. Sweet looking knife Murph.

Murph,

Your kickin butt buddy! I love the design and for your first project I can only respect your efforts. Turning out so much better than my first.

Keep it up....we are going to see much more come out of Murph's shop Dogs.

Looking forward to it.

Chris

Murph - If that's the first effort, you've done yourself proud. Should you need ideas on how to make your mistakes more visible, let me know.... I can help.

I can't say this is the "First Effort". It is the first one which I have glued up and getting close to finishing. I finished my "First Completed Project" this evening. I'll post pics in another thread shortly.

Back