Arkansas Custom Knife Show - Little Rock 2010

Roger Pinnock

Greetings all,

I've been wanting to add this review to your terrific forum, but had to wait for a fresh monthly allotment of bandwidth from my photo host.

I hope you enjoy this peek at what was a terrific weekend, and by almost all accounts, a very successful show.

Those with slow uploads may view view the photo album here, where you can open one pic at a time:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/49C133B36B293B5

I'll just say that this was a supremely enjoyable show - relaxed, welcoming atmosphere, the nicest of people on both sides of the tables, and some truly terrific knives.

The usual caveats apply:

1) I tend to shoot what I like, so this will be bowie-intensive. In my defense, Arkansas IS bowie country, so it's not like I could have avoided them anyway.

2) Show lighting, shaky hands, crowded aisles (even though I tried to shoot at quiter times) means you won't see pro pics. But you will see pics, and that's better that not seeing pics.

3) Couldn't shoot everyone, and not every shot I took turned out. My camera skills are minimal and modern technology can only overcome a certain degree of acute ugly. Sorry Jerry. :p

4) Some guys I thought I shot, but didn't. Happens every time. One day I'll remember to make a list. But first I'll have to remember to remember.

5) If I butcher anybodies name, it could be a typo or just regular stupidity - just drop me a PM and I'll fix 'em as I go.

It'll take me about 4 or 5 posts to get all the shots up, so have patience with me.

I'll start off with some non knife-specific shots so a few faces can be put to some names.

A group of us heading out to lunch Friday. Left to right: Jon Klein, Kevin Jones, Chuck Kerwin, Paul Long, Bob Starkey, Paul Kessler, Bob (officially the best looking "Bob" I've ever met and a rose among thorns here), Jerry Fisk, Lin Rhea.

orig.jpg

Chuck Ward - we've seen his terrific pics but so rarely see the man behind the camera. As not only show photographer, but one of the organizers, he was as busy as a guy can be but still found time for everyone. I need to learn that particular trick.

orig.jpg

This motley crew along with Kevin Jones, Bob Starkey and surely others I am forgetting did a great job mannind the CKCA booth for the weekend. L t R: Paul Long, Paul Kessler, Chuck Kerwin.

orig.jpg

Now onto the show awards. The winners in various categories were:

Best Hunter: Terry Vandeverntner

Best Fighter: Kyle Royer

Best Folder: Leon Treiber

Best Art Knife: J.R. Cook

Best Bowie: John White

Best Damascus: Kyle Royer

Best Miniature: Craig and Deborah Braschler

Best Sheath: Craig Braschler

Best Pearl-handled Knife: Ron Newton

Best Giraffe Bone-handled Knife: Lee Ferguson

Best Historically Inspired Knife: Lin Rhea

Clyde Fisher Award: James Batson

BEST OF SHOW: Ron Newton

And here are the award winners:

orig.jpg

Okay - now onto makers and knives. These pictures are more or less in the order I shot them and they were shot in no kind of order at all.

Mike Williams

Mike had not one, but TWO of my favourite bowies of the show. He's holding one of them here:

orig.jpg

What the pic doesn't show you is the complex but flawlessly executed butt cap with an insert of the same stunning ivory used for the handle.

orig.jpg

Roger Massey

Man, I wanted that sweet Southwest clamshell bowie he is holding sooooo bad.

orig.jpg

But what may be news to some is that Roger is turning out some exceedingly nice and very affordable custom slip joints.

orig.jpg

The single blade twin to the knife shown above was snapped in a hurry. By some guy named John White. Give that some thought.

Brion Tomberlin

Here Too Tall dwarfs what is actually a pretty good sized bowie:

orig.jpg

END PART 1

As you can see here positioned next to a very nice little recurve hunter:

orig.jpg

Jerry Fisk

This little dude was hanging around Jerry's table most of Friday. He didn't realize you need to get to Jerry's table right quick if you want a knife. What Little Rock would be without Jerry's homour, I can't conceive.

orig.jpg

This little honey of a folder went for a very pretty penny to a very happy new owner:

orig.jpg

Charles Vestal

Informed collectors of Loveless-styled knives already know who Charles is. The rest of you all need to find out. VERY clean work.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mike Ruth, Michael Ruth

It's getting crowded at the Ruth shop:

orig.jpg

Mike has been turning out gorgeous knives for some time now (I just missed out on that swet stag hunter):

orig.jpg

But the surprise to many is how far advanced his son Michael is in the craft. Check out that sweet stag and shimmering ladder damascus. Check out the killer lines on that fighter:

orig.jpg

J.W. Randall

Elegance defines JW's work:

orig.jpg

And elegance well describes the sweet gent's bowie shown in the foreground. I expect we'll see some better pics of that one in due course. I got to look at the details of the fittings under magnification. Then Ihad to put my socks back on.

orig.jpg

END PART DEUX

John White

John seen here holding his award-winning bowie. He aslo had with him one of the most stunning ivory dogbone bowies I have ever seen.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Lin Rhea

You've seen Lin earlier in the thread, so lets take two peeks at some knives. This one has about the best-feeling subhilt handle design you can imagine. Someone picked it up early and couldn't put it down - it vanished before I could shoot it. Fortunately, Chuck already had:

orig.jpg

And Lin's award-winning historical bowie:

orig.jpg

I really have developed a greater appreciation for these knives after visiting the nearby museum which houses a MUST SEE collection of antique and contemporary bowies. Being given a tour by someone who works there (Lin) made it that much more informative and enjoyable.

Ralph "Bud" Richards

The nicest guy with a great attitude toward knifemaking. He also happens to be doing some really exceptional work for this early stage in his career. here he is holding the CKCA Bowie that you can all see at Blade in a few months:

orig.jpg

The damascus bowie in the foreground tempted me sorely. Tremendous shimmer:

orig.jpg

Terry Vandeventer

Gorgeous damascus, first rate ivory and beautiful designs. Man, this guy can make a sweet bowie:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

END PART 3

Tad Lynch

A newer maker you really need to watch. My favourite designs of his are his forge-textured choppers, but I'll tell you something, he's no slouch at the fighters and bowies either:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Charles Stout

Charles' traqditional bowie designs are very appealing, as is his signature hunter shown below. He's holding my favourite piece, though - gorgeous hunk of stag on that one with beautiful damscus as well.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Allen Newberry

Allen's knives are a bit different than the ones I am normally drawn to, but drawn to them I was. Very nice work and a successful first show for this newer maker:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kyle Royer

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard of this your prodigy. He's in the habit of collecting awards by the armful:

orig.jpg

And his knives? Exquisite:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ron Newton

This BEST OF SHOW piece could be the subject of an entire article, so I'll just say WOW!!. I didn't have the heart to re-size this pic and you need to see as much detail as you possibly can. Just... wow! Really nice job on the shot by Chuck as well:

orig.jpg

END

Thaks for looking folks.

Roger

Roger, I can't thank you enough for posting all these great pics. They have inspired me greatly and at the same time made me want to take all my tools and supplies to the dumpster and take up coloring with crayons again.

There certainly was a lot of talent in that room. I had a great time and I am glad that Roger took the pictures I wish I was able to take.

Thanks Roger, I was hoping someone would post some pics since I couldn't make it this year. Hope to have a table there next year.

Thanks for the review Roger. It was one of our best shows from the feed back we're getting. We're already planning the 2011 show! Lin:)

Back