Steel choice

arrow-360

Hi all,
I am about to place an order for enough steel to make a dozen or so knives in 3/32 1/8, and 5/32.
All I have worked with is O-1. Would like to try something that won't rust or stain as easy as O-1. I can do my own heat treating (Have my own electric oven)or will send it off. I see alot of makers using cpm-154. Can someone chime in, and fill me in on it.
I want a steel that is tough, and will take a razors edge. A-2 any good? I haven't made knives enough to know my steels yet. Hardly know what I'm looking for.
My knives will be hunting, skinning styles, "to be used". Some will be mirror finished, some bead blasted, and some a sanded finish. I plan on going all out on a couple for show with damascus.
Would love to have someone point me in the right direction. Also where I can purchase steels listed (or other recommended steel) at a decent price.
Many Thanks,
Dave

Keep in mind this is coming from a noob... But I say 440c.

CPM154 for sure. Good formula based upon the original 154cm, but made with Crucible's powder metallurgy technique. It's very clean and uniform. I believe there is some vanadium added for grain refinement but not lots.
Pros:
Heat treatment is not complicated and can be done easily enough in your HT oven.
Relatively easy to grind after heat treatment.
Takes a great hand finish. (Don't know about mirror finish. Haven't done one of those since 1985 on any steel.)
Holds a good edge.
Is a little tougher than 154cm and 440c.
Cons:
It's expensive, almost twice as much as 154cm.
Hard to get until Crucible gets more made.
Like most stainless steels, it won't make a great heavy duty chopper or sword.

CPM154 is my preferred stainless steel when I'm not making a knife from carbon damascus. It has never given me fits like the Crucible "V" steels, and it's not as ugly as they are. It's a very good stainless blade steel.

David

My first three knives were made from A2, D2 and 440C. I had pretty good luck with all of them. I really liked the way 440C polished up the best. As for sharpening and holding an edge combined I liked the A2.

I send my blades out for heat treat so I don't know anything about that.

Back