SAND BOX BLADE

Jerry Bond

Hay guys, I have a great nephew going back to Af'stan on the first of March [third tour] and I making him a knife to take with him.
My question is, What handle material should I use?
I have macarta,plenty of diff woods,and some antler,
I don't keep up with a lot of this stuff, and what I do learn, I forget pretty quick.
Thanks a bunch for any help. Jerry

Forgot

Might help if I finished post,
Blade is 5/32" cpm154 [last pc] 11 1/4 oal, 6" recurve with a full 1 1/2" hump going down to 1 3/16" in the belly.
Has a 3/8" drop point, With a full flat grind,400gt satin finish
Thanks again, Jerry

My typing finger is running hot uh1

Micarta would be an excellent choice due to the extremes of weather they face over there. In addition, you never know what kind of condition your nephew may have to use it in. I would leave some grip to the Micarta as well so if his hands are oily or bloody it will grip better.

Please post pics fo the knife when you're done and also thank your nephew for his service to the world. Prayers for his safe return.

Charlie

Jerry,

The answer to this riddle is very easy, "Canvas Micarta". If you need it, I have a good size piece of natural color in 3/8 in one of my boxes. Just give me a call and I'll run it down to you.

With canvas micarta, you won't have to intentionally texture the scales. You can shape them however you like and just finish them to a 220gr and then give a quick buff. It will leave a great "grippy finish".

If you want to do a kydex sheah that will lock into his gear, let me know and I'll bring my gear down and we'll make him one.

Last edited:
I like G-10 better than micarta for this kinda thing. I have been told (But haven't got around to testing it) that micarta doesn't hold up to exposure to diesel fuel.

Just something to think about... G-10 works easier too! :)

Thanks for the replies fellows.
Since I don't have g-10 I will use macarta, I believe it will be fine.
Murph, what the actual color of that macarta that you have? If it is brown then it will work.PM me your ph # I lost it again. Jerry

Back