Teach me about this grind.

Stew

I'm seeing this style grind more and more often but don't know a lot about it.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=5983 (just one example)

First off, what's it called? huh1

second, what's the geometry in the different sections? I'm guessing that the tip section is left quite thick throughout for a stronger point and that the handle end of the blade is thinner.

I don't know the details of this grind but seeing as there has been no response to your question I will attempt to answer it for you. I believe it's called a nightmare grind, and it's called that because it's so hard to sharpen. The belly of the blade is a hollow grind for maximum cutting and weight efficiency, while the tip is a falt grind for better strength at the tip. Hope this has been helpful :)

Hey,
Allen E. calls it the compound grind. That's as much as i can tell without repeating Bw's post, cause he gave you some complex answer there. I really don't think there is anymore to say :)

Other than that done right, it looks wicked cool :)

Ondrej

That still of grind with a convex point and a hollow grind main edge remember the point of the pesh kabz. That sort of strong point was made to perforate the armor or coat of mail (don't know if it's the right word for
chainmail.jpg
You have a strong point that could endure some important impact and have a very sharp main edge that can cut everything with accuracy.
That is more or less what it was said on the two last post :D

Stew,

I've heard several call it a re-curve, but I see it as a compound grind. The long primary edge is generally hollow ground, probably with a good sized wheel. The point or tip area is then ground either flat or hollow with a smaller wheel or with a lower grind line, all so it is thicker and sturdier for punching and poking. It's all sort of an evolution of the Americanized tanto that Lum started back in the 80s.

To make it you would hollow grind the edge as usual, except that you have a stopping point at the tip end as well as at the rear. It gets tricky when you have a short blade that allows little movement back and forth. The point area is then ground separately. Another way to grind it is to do the edge hollow grinding in a normal fashion with it running off the tip end and not stopping, then come in a grind the point area.

Design wise, most have an edge that is concave, but sometimes you see straight or convex edges. Most have large point areas. Some are huge, being almost half of a blade. Others are small.

Attached are pictures of my take on this grind. The smaller fixed blade and the folder have primary edges that change angles. The sub hilt has both a concave and a slightly convex primary edge. I ran my bevels off the tip end, then flat ground the tips for punching strength. The top grinds on both fixed blades have stopping points at both ends, with the grind lines lower at the rear. That drove me nuts!

Hope this helps.

David

Attachments

• TantoPointSHF5.jpg
    TantoPointSHF5.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 41
  • TantoPointSHF6.jpg
    TantoPointSHF6.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33
  • SpeckledTacFold1.jpg
    SpeckledTacFold1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 33