Any Dogs been to the AG Russell show?

Delbert Ealy

Forum Owner-Moderator - Founder
I am thinking about going this year, Just wondering if any of you have gone and if so what did you think of it.
Thanks,

Delbert,

Nadine and I were able to attend on Saturday of last year's show. Jim Crowell, M.S. was kind enough to provide us with V.I.P. passes for the weekend.

I have yet to attend Blade, so I'm unsure of the setup and quality of the show. I attend the A.K.A. Show every year that Uncle Sam doesn't have me in a foreign country. The A.G. Russell Knife Event has now been added to my "Must Attend List". I was extremely impressed with last years show. As one might imagine, there were makers from all over in attendance to include several factory represenatives (Benchmade, Spyderco, C.K.R.T. to name a few of my favorite) as well as suppliers.

The A.G. Knife Event is an extremely well planned and professional show. The venue was exceptional and well organized. The banquet Saturday evening left a fat boy like me speechless and drooling. My only regret was my inability to stay for the presentation after the banquet where several makers were asked to speak about how they became involved in knifemaking and what it has taken for them to become a success. Unfortunately, Nadine and I had to return home to attend to our four legged children.

I haven't been to that show but I've stayed at that Holiday Inn at least a dozen times for other meetings. It is a nice place to stay. There are two other lower price hotels immediately next door. I can't recall the names but I've also stayed in both of those and they are clean and reasonable. Google them up. There are a couple places to eat with in walking distance but only a couple. One of them is waffle house - always a favorite. A short drive into Rogers near Bentonville and you have an unbelievable selection of restaurants.
The airport Northwest Regional airport XNA is 25 minutes away and has *a lot* of direct flights daily. This area is home to Walmart, Tyson, JBHunt and Daisy plus several others.

I have talked to several people that attended last year. The only bad thing said was that the show was a little slow because of the economy. Other than that they said it is a great show and would be back this year. Hope to not be working the weekends by then so I can go.

I have gone every year that they have had it and had a good time. This year will be my first year to have a table there.

Allen -

Looks like we'll be gettin' acquainted as I'll have a table there this year as well. I'll be flying in from Colorado - and I look forward to meeting a bunch of the dawgs from the pound there. I know that there will be quite a few familiar faces from the PKA there also so it may be downright homey.

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com

Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

I look forward to meeting you. The show is on my home turf so if you guys who are going need anything. Such as resturaunt recomendations just let me know.

Went last year as a visitor. Saw some old friends and some I remember from the 80's Guild Show. D'Holder and Billy Imel. Pop's was there with supplies. Chad Nichols with his damascus. Wood Lab with a boatload of stabilized wood.

Last year was my first year there, second knife show ever, I'll be back there this year. My wife drove my friend Steve Jernigan and I there and back, we all had a good time, I even sold a few knives. One of the highlites of our trip was the visit to Bob Dozier's shop, WOW what a shop!

well-planned and nice hotel -- the table fee is great too. Traffic was really slow last year, but it is such a nice show that I think it could be a great one in the future if we stick to it. :)

Delbert,

The only things I've heard through the grapevine about the AGR show were that it was poorly attended and sales were lousy overall. Now that's from a knifemaker's perspective. As a supplier to other makers it is possible that you could have a fair show if those other makers were in a mood to buy damascus for current or potential orders. Whether or not it will ever turn into a major show is just a guess. Lots of "names", but "names" don't always make a knife show successful.

It is at about the time of year that the Guild used to meet and there are a bunch of Guild members on the list. Maybe they are trying to create something that's the answer to the Guild!

David

Back