Stencil help.....Please

Keith Willis

I am wanting to have a stencil made,but am not sure what I want to have put on it.
I would first like to know.Where would be my best place to get them,all I have ever used is fingernail polish,or wax and the saltwater solution that Wayne Goodard talks about in his book.My etcher is a power supply out of an old computer.The etcher works great,but I am really needing to do a little better with my mark.

My next question is.What do you think I should have put on the stencil ?
I have been using HK,since I started trying to make knives.I have been doing so about 3 years now.Since I am doing a little better with the quality of my knives,I think my makers mark should look a little better.I am trying to decide on weather I should leave it as HK,or use my name.I don't want nothing fancy,I am thinking if I use my name I may use K.WILLIS or K.W.W,which is my initials.I like the HK,it's just that I have had close friends,even my brother,that I have given knives too,that have later ask me.What does HK stand for,I think it is something I may need to change.

The HK come about when my son(Hunter) was going to help me a little in the shop,he was about 13 at the time and said he was going to help with some hand sanding.He and I came up with HK,and it just kind of stuck,however when he found out it was more work than fun,that ended his knifemaking career:)

Thanks for any help or advice.

God bless,Keith

Hi Keith , In a recent article in Knives Illustrated ,sept 2009, there was an article on knife collector mistakes . In it the author suggests that collectors should buy knives with the makers name on it . The reason being that in a few years how will anyone know who made it ? He believes that it will negatively affect future value . Look to the big makers , most have their name , not a mark . How about your mark with your name under it ? Name recognition is VERY important ! You want people to know your name , believe me ! Just my 2 cents . Thanks , Bill

Ernie Gospitch -(erniesknives.com) comes highly recommended by many on here for your stencils.

You're best move, and I think most on here will agree, would be to use your full name or your first enitial (sp) and your full last name.

Why-- So people will know who the knifemaker is and so it will be easier to find you if they want another knife .

Larry

Ernie Gospitch -(erniesknives.com) comes highly recommended by many on here for your stencils.

You're best move, and I think most on here will agree, would be to use your full name or your first enitial (sp) and your full last name.

Why-- So people will know who the knifemaker is and so it will be easier to find you if they want another knife .

Larry

Ernie Gospitch, Is the only way to go.

Thanks guys,Ernie Gospitch it will be.I am going to give him a call today to try and work out what I am wanting.
I am going to use my name,or at least my first initial and full last name.

Hey Ernie,(bigern)I will tell you,I had just given the stencil idea a little thought over the last 6 months or so,but when I saw your first knife,and how clean that name looked on that knife I knew that I had to have a stencil.
I know it has already been said,but for a first knife,and with no more than you had to work with,my brother,you done a fine job2thumbs .Keep it up !!

Thanks again guys,
God bless,Keith

Thanks guys,Ernie Gospitch it will be.I am going to give him a call today to try and work out what I am wanting.
I am going to use my name,or at least my first initial and full last name.

Hey Ernie,(bigern)I will tell you,I had just given the stencil idea a little thought over the last 6 months or so,but when I saw your first knife,and how clean that name looked on that knife I knew that I had to have a stencil.
I know it has already been said,but for a first knife,and with no more than you had to work with,my brother,you done a fine job2thumbs .Keep it up !!

Thanks again guys,
God bless,Keith

Thank You............

You wont be disappointed going with Ernie's stencils!!

Thanks,just to let everyone know,I talked to Ernie today,a pleasure to talk to and very helpful.With his advice I was able to work out what I wanted,and he said he would mail it out on Monday.

God bless,Keith

Ernie's Stencils

Here's an example of one of Ernie's etching stencils. He makes it a very easy process.

Steve

Last edited:
Keith on the HK subject thats wat I started out using untill I found four other makers using those letters I switched to my name really quick. I might do it on one side on special knives but always my name on the makers side. Hope this helps

God Bless
Billy Helton

Back