Wire Inlay

moon

IMG_0046.jpg

Here is my second attempt at wire inlay. Not very happy with cutting the wire to short but better luck next time. Comments welcome, I need all the help I can get. Moon

I have tried and not been very good at it.Yours looks a lot better than any I have done.It just takes a lot of practice.

If you have any questions,Josh Dabney,is here on the forum,and does some nice inlay.I am sure he would try to help any way he could.

God bless,Keith

Moon,

I'm certainly no master here but I am wondering if you pre-cut the wire to length before inlaying it ?

Fo example- where you have a stem that splits away from the main stem and ends with a dot.

I would first have the main stem inlayed then chisel the channel for the offshoot.

Begin inlaying the wire (I prep the wire a foot or so at a time) where it meets the main stem and work it till you get to the other end and the bottom of the wire is flush with the end of the channel on the surface of the wood.

Now use your dikes to snip the wire. Snipping the end of the wire at a VERY slight angle where the bottom edge of the wire fits in the channel and the top edge extends VERY slightly past the cut channel will ensure that the wire fills the channel entirely

This method should ensure that you get the offshoot exacly where you want it in relation to the main stem and end where you want it with no leftover channel that's not filled with wire.

Hope this helps, Josh

Not bad for second time. Your wire looks tight in the grooves.

Where your wire runs into another wire at an angle it should blend in. In other words taper your wire that joins to another wire so it has a smooth transition. I have used a file and also a hammer to taper the wire.

The best thing is to practice a lot. I used copper wire and scrap wood to practice on.

Larry

Back