kitchen knife

v-6

Need some help please.
I need to know from you guys that make kitchen knives , using 1095 1/8x2 on how do you keep the blade from bowing while your grinding. do you put another piece of steel behind it which i think would be hard to hold.??????????????
thanks again
vern :chasing cat:
ps: pix of your setup would help!

Vern
I use quite a bit of 1/8 stock on my kitchen knives. My first question what type grinder are you using? What length blades?

First, if you are having to push hard enough to bend your stock, somthing isnt right in my mind. Possibly use newer or courser grit belts. Dull belts are a pain! If all else fails, use a modified push stick to give you pressure on the stock over the belt.

Im using 1/8" stock and Ive never experianced this problem. Now warps from quenching is a total new subject!!!:mad: Ive started doing edge quenches to help with this issue.

Mabe some of the other guys will jump in with other advise.

Good luck and God Bless
Mike

Vern
I use quite a bit of 1/8 stock on my kitchen knives. My first question what type grinder are you using? What length blades?

First, if you are having to push hard enough to bend your stock, somthing isnt right in my mind. Possibly use newer or courser grit belts. Dull belts are a pain! If all else fails, use a modified push stick to give you pressure on the stock over the belt.

Im using 1/8" stock and Ive never experianced this problem. Now warps from quenching is a total new subject!!!:mad: Ive started doing edge quenches to help with this issue.

Mabe some of the other guys will jump in with other advise.

Good luck and God Bless

Mike

Mike thanks for the reply.
I use a kmg, and the blade size is 8" to the handle, by 2" tall and 1/8 thick.
I use a jig to hold the blank and slide it on a shelf 3'long.
i dont use a push stick because i ht 'ed it before grinding so i dont eat up to much steel . i have to go slow to not let it heat up so i use my thumb when needed.
the bow is very small just that i see it when i drag the blade off the belt.
is this not to worry about?
vern :unsure:

Hay Vern and Mike, I have thought about quench for 5 to 6 seconds,
then clamp it between the plates.Do you think that would help with the bending and warping?
Jerry

Hay Vern and Mike, I have thought about quench for 5 to 6 seconds,
then clamp it between the plates.Do you think that would help with the bending and warping?
Jerry

Jerry , i have got no problem with the quenching, the so called problem is when i drag the blade across the belt i see the blade bowing just a little bit.
I did not know if the grinding pressure would be more in one spot then in another because of the little bowing deal.
vern :bud:

Back