New Horizontal Grinder

E

elkinsknives

I built this grinder about a year ago. It came about because I have four very different grinders in my shop and I wanted to be able to use some of the attachments from them on this one. It can use Bader wheels (small and large), Wilton wheels, Bee-metal wheels, as well as Bridwell wheels, from 1/2" to 14". The tension arm "breaks over" when it reaches a certain point and locks, allowing you to use two hands to put the belt on. Hope these pics give yall some ideas. Thanks, Van

SANY1872.JPG
SANY1873.JPG
SANY1881.JPG
SANY1897.JPG
SANY1903.JPG
SANY1910.JPG

These pics are close-ups of the tension/tracking assembly.

SANY1931.JPG
SANY1930.JPG
SANY1889.JPG

That is the coolest self built grinder I have seen:eek:2thumbs

I have a hard enough time building knives and here you guys are creating machinery:confused:

Great work2thumbs Are these going to go into production anytime soon:D

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Nice set up, Van thanks for posting.

I just built a 2"x72" grinder and was working on a design for a horizontal your pics might help. Nice build by the way.

Larry

Thanks for the comments, guys. No, I don't plan to produce these; just figured someone might get some ideas. I am working on another horizontal. This time, all the small wheels (6 of them) will be built into the base with 3 indexes. The geometry is a bear!

Nice job on this grinder. I've been looking at horizontals lately and this is the most versatal one I've seen.

Thanks again for all the comments! Just wanted to add a thought. I guess I take a lot of things I do for granted, but I wanted to say something about DC motors and drives. Everything in my shop runs on 90V DC (at least all the equipment). I have somewhere between 10 and 15 motor/drive units. Every one of them came from a paper mill salvage yard. I pulled up one day and got five 1hp motors and controllers that were new in the box (baldor motors with leeson controllers) for $5. That's for all of them!! Most of the time, any yard that uses conveyors will have take-offs for $1 to $2 per horsepower. They are extremely easy to hook up and adjust. Just thought you might want to start looking around....

Back