Where to get Flat Ground O1

C

CShepherd

I went to order some from my local source and their prices seem to have gone through the roof. They want $65 for two 36" pieces of 1/8" thick.

I live in SE Tennessee. Where's a good place to get it from or order it from?

I found Flatground.com and they seem to have good prices, just not sure on service and such.

Thanks,

Charles

Enco has pretty good prices on flat ground stock. You should be able to get Starrett for about half of what you have locally.

Joe

Did some searching and Fastenal was able to order me some into the local store. We'll see how it looks when it gets here.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles, I just did an order from flatground.com. It's the store front for Bohler-Uddeholm steel manufacturer. Customer service, prices, and shipping time...all good to go IMHO.-Matt-

I picked up the O-1 from Fastenal this morning. It's Starret's so it should be good. The price was good too.

I need to take a close look at the other places listed though.

Charlie

I just got two bars of Starrett O1 in yesterday. I haven't worked with it yet but it looks to be good stuff. It's ground very clean and flat. I already know that will save a bunch of time and belts 2thumkbs

I picked up the O-1 from Fastenal this morning. It's Starret's so it should be good. The price was good too.

I need to take a close look at the other places listed though.

Charlie

Did they charge you shipping to the store? My local fastenal charged what I thought was an outrageous price for 2 things I ordered. They charged when stuff arrived and didn't ever mention shipping charges. And to top it off I ordered 2 things and they came from different places so they charged separate shipping for both things. I was pretty steamed. I never thought I had to ask if I would get charged shipping TO THE STORE!

Gotta be careful who you deal with when ordering stuff to your local store, no matter which outfit it is. It can't hurt to talk to the manager, not just the kid working the counter after school. Always ask for a better deal, you got nothing to lose! In some cases, you might be better off ordering online and waiting a few more days, as far as shipping goes.

I got mine from MSC and it was a bit pricy, but I know a person who knows a person, so I didn't pay shipping, and got a good deal.

In any case, I had a chance to cut and grind some of the ground Starrett O1 today, and it's lovely stuff to work with. Truly flat, no scale or pits at all; good gravy what a time-saver! Fully spheroidized-annealed and grinds nice and smooth even with less-than-optimal belts. 2thumbs

Back