Ironwood & Hamon

Josh Dabney

Here's my latest completed knife and sheath. I'm hesitant to call a 6" blade a Bowie so I guess I'll call it a Cowboy fighter.

6" differentially heat treated 1095 Carbon steel blade
Full tapered tang
Wrought Iron S guard
Fileworked spine
Mild steel pins
Premium Desert Ironwood burl handle scales.

8-9 ounce handstitched sheath with Chuck Burrows inspired carving.

SSbowie049.jpg

SSbowie048.jpg

SSbowie046.jpg

SSbowie047.jpg

SSbowie044.jpg

SSbowie045.jpg

Let me know what you guys think !

Thanks, Josh :D

Josh, that my friend that is most impressive! Lots of advanced techniques on that package! I love that sheath too!

Steve
---------
Potomac Forge
---------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Hey Josh, that is real nice work. The scroll on the sheath would go well with the wire inlay work you do. Good work.

Appreciate all the nice words fellas !

Fitting the slip over guard was a bit nail biting but it came out great.

Learned another newbie lesson the hard way too, LOL. Without really thinking about it I fit the first guard to the tang before bending the S into the tips. Of course after heating to 2200 my guard fit about like a hoola-hoop. The second go round went much better though.

Thanks again for the comments, Josh

Josh, I love the work on that one! 2thumbs I am going to have to keep an eye on you as that natural talent of yours is really blossoming out!

You say the pins are mild steel. If you don't mind me asking what are they?
I always worry about rust if I don't use a material that is rust resistant! I have used welding rods before which is not exactly mild steel but I worry sometimes about them rusting at a later date! :bud:

Cliff,

These are 1/8 pinstock from the hardware dept at Lowes. They will of course rust if not cared for but so will the guard and blade :) .

It is dependent on you and your customers needs but many folks who shoot CASS and want to be period correct do NOT want stainless on thier knives and appreciate the use of simple carbon, brass, nickel silver, wrought, and mild steel. I tend to use mild steel pins on my carbon knives and 416 pins with SS.

Thanks again for the comments fellas, they are appreciated ! Josh

WOW,Josh !! You sir, are truly a craftsman!! This Knife looks like it should belong in a Museum!! Love the carving on the sheath also!! :)

Frank

Back