A Day in Ken Ericksons Shop

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
A few weeks ago I posted a design critique thread on a design I drew up for a slip joint. Ken Erickson pointed out a few things wrong with my tang. He noticed I was In Wisconsin and invited me to his shop for a day to learn about slippies!!!

A little about myself, I am very new to knife making, I have just finished the construction of my first knife. It is a full tang fixed blade. I have also finished building my first sheath, all I have left to do as of now is give it an edge and sharpen!!
Here is a link to my first knife wip
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692312

Yesterday morning I got up at 4:00 am and left my house by 4:30
I got to Kens Shop at 9:00 a.m.

He greeted me with his shop door open and when I walked in I was amazed to see all his tools and machinery placed very well around in his small shop as to actually make the shop seem large.
We shook hands and went right to work.:thumbup:

He had a blade and spring already heat treated, but everything else he was going to build while teaching me all the aspects of building a shadow slip joint folder.

Ken Explained everything he was doing in great detail and as far as I can tell left nothing of importance out.

I am still amazed at this master craftsman at work!!!!

I asked questions that I thought were of minor importance but Ken answered them as if they were the most important. Ken sat there and expained to me the geometrics of the tang and spring and showed me how everything works.
We went over blade, spring and liner thicknesses in reguards to the astetics of a knife.

I have the utmost respect for Ken and he is a true teacher. I left his shop at 4:30 p.m. with so much knowledge I now am not scared to try my hand at a slippie.
I know Ken might not think of himself as a true craftsman and a great teacher but after a day spent with him I feel he is one of the best!!!

I am extremely proud to call Ken a friend.

Here are some pictures of the knife ken made as a teaching tool, that he let me take home. (thanks again Ken I cant stop holding it!!)

Reminder: this knife was made in 7 1/2 hours including coffee breaks, talking and q&a.

015-2.jpg

021-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

028.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

My pictures are not the best and in no way do this knife justice.

I would like to thank you again Ken for inviting me to your shop to learn the basics of building folders!! I hope I can build a knife half as good as this one!!

I will forever carry this knife as a memory of meeting one of the nicest guys that I am proud to call a friend.

Ernie,

What a great story and tribute to a fellow knifemaker helping a newbie.

Ken Erickson 2thumbs urock1

Thanks for sharing such a good experience.

I had a similar experience learning to make liner locks from Jay Harris here in California it's such a pleasure to know that there are maker out there willing to freely share their skills.

A maker that spends a full day teaching another maker is good people in my book and deserves something - even though I know they wouldn't expect anything, ask anything and probably would refuse something if offered. Good thing I am the boss here. Ken Erickson has been upgraded to a year KnifeMaker's membership here.

Ernie, it is a pleasure to see how hard you are working at this. You are going to be something some day in this whole business if you keep at it like you are.

Ken, thanks for sharing your hard earned knowledge. You are one of the good guys.
t

Ernie, this is a great story and testimonial to the great friends we have here at Knife Dogs.

Ken, thank you for taking the time to help a new knifemaker. I am impressed with your generousity.

Boss, that was a nice gesture, you rock.

Man, I love this forum.

Larry

Ken that is very nice of you. Ernie you are a lucky man .Just remember to return the favor to someone else some day

What a difference random acts of kindness can make!
I try to do at least one anonymous good deed a day. If I can't be anonymous, I try to be humble.

Ken spent one day sharing what he loves with a "virtual" stranger. I think it will make a big difference in both their lives.

Ernie, keep asking those questions. You can't pass the tests if you don't have the information!

Ernie im glad you have the drive I had when I started. I dont have makers around me that are willing to help me yet I sure hope I find a mentor. It would make alot of my trial and error events alot more pleasant. My hats off to you ken erickson

Congrats Ernie! Ken is a great maker, I have always been a fan of his work. Now Im a huge fan. I still marvel at how giving knife makers are. It is truly unlike any other thing I have been involved with.
Boss, Im sure Ken is very humble about being able to help a new maker, so it is very cool of you to upgrade the membership.
I love this forum! You dogs rock!

Sean

I really enjoyed the story, Congratulations Ken, always knew you were one of the good guys. Gus told me so. 2thumbs

What a deal. Ernie, there are a bunch of "good guys" out there and you sure got a deal on meeting this one. I wonder if it would work as well if I traveled all the way up to Wisconsin. cool 1

Ken, we all appreciate your helping Ernie out that way. I'll bet before long he will be bringing you a damascus slippie, with his stamp to show his appreciation. I have had quite a few conversations with Ernie and I think that he is going to do well with some support. Thanks from the community.

Excellent, It is always great to hear stories like this. Knife makers really are a nice bunch. Now write everything he taught you down so you don't forget any of it... then post it all on the forums so we can learn some of it too :)

Alistair

A maker that spends a full day teaching another maker is good people in my book and deserves something - even though I know they wouldn't expect anything, ask anything and probably would refuse something if offered. Good thing I am the boss here. Ken Erickson has been upgraded to a year KnifeMaker's membership here.

Ernie, it is a pleasure to see how hard you are working at this. You are going to be something some day in this whole business if you keep at it like you are.

Ken, thanks for sharing your hard earned knowledge. You are one of the good guys.
t

Thank You For doing that Tracy!!!
I did offer to send him a knife but of course he declined and said that seeing a slippie that I make is reward enough.............................
Well I am still going to send him one!!!! Shh don't tell Ken Though lol

Thank you for the kind words about me also.
Like you and wayne both said, I do hope I get somewhere with this but it is not expercted!! I am having fun and I really love making knifes.
I know I will be full of joy when I sell my first knife but I am still working on getting them perfect!!!!!

I wanted to thank all you guys for adding the very kind comments here! Tracy, thanks for the upgrade!:D

It was a genuine pleasure meeting Ernie and working with him for the day in my little shop. What made it special to me is that I can tell Ernie has a TRUE desire to learn, and become a knifemaker. He asked great questions, watched me intently , tried to soak in all he could.

I think we will be hearing more from Ernie in the future and I for one, am looking forward to seeing knives with his mark!

Ernie, all I can say is: After all this build up, if you don't keep up with knife making you are going to be in the Outhouse.

A few quotes that I like that go along with your statement: "….but I am still working on getting them perfect!!!!!"

If you have to ask, "Is it good enough". It is probably not!

"Good enough never is."

When Francis was asked, "Is this straight enough?"
Francis would answer, "Is it straight?"

“If you think you can, or, you think you can’t,,,, You’re right!” Henry Ford

There are two ways to do anything, you can do it right ,,, or you can do it again. James Spratt Sculptor

Don't worry Wayne, I am planning on making knives for a long time!!!

I know I will never get them perfect but hey its a good goal to set!!

Back