What's on my bench 2/20/10

C

CShepherd

Got my NWGS mostly finished and actually had the house to myself for a few hours today so I decided to have at it.

OnTheTablesmall.jpg

The top one is a skinning hatchet that I profiled out over 2 years ago before I had to shelve knifemaking due to family illness and birth of my youngest daughter.

SkinningHatchet1small.jpg

I lived in Alaska for 8+ years and saw the usefulness of a small hatchet for skinning very large game (i.e. moose, bear and such) and have wanted to make my own twist on it. It will have a burlap micarta handle that goes all the way past the series of holes and will give you 2 distinct grips.

skinninghatchetgrip1small.jpg

Grip one is a traditional hatchet grip for separating joints and other tasks that require a bit of umph.

skinninghatchetgrip2small.jpg

Grip 2 allows you to choke up on the blade and use the large curve for separating skin from meat, fat from meat, and such. The forward hole is there to give you an anchor point for your thumb while using this grip. I'm excited to see this one coming along. It will take a while to finish since it gets pushed aside for everything else.

RecurveFightersmall.jpg

This is a recurve fighter. It's for me and will have green canvas micarta handles. Not sure on the sheath yet, I like leather, but tactical seems to scream for kydex. Oh well, we'll decide later.

3fingeredcsmall.jpg

I like little edc knives. This one will be a 3-finger one for day-to-day cutting chores.

birdandtroutsmall.jpg

This is my idea of a bird and trout. Thin, sleek, and very sharp. It'll have a basic leather pouch sheath. Not sure on the handle material yet but I do have some nice maple burl my wife bought me a couple of years ago that might work well.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I'm always open for suggestions, comments, even critiques. I'm fairly new to this and want to learn.

Oh, about forgot, the bottom one Im finishing up for my boss at work. Meant to be a skinner. It's ready for the handles which I'm going to glue up tonight and hopefully shape up tomorrow. We'll see.

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. Have fun with the new grinder...2thumbs

Oh man, I am. I have graduated from kindergarten up to college in just a few short weeks. I was using a 6" bench grinder to profile and a 1x30 to bevel.

This 2x72 is so much faster.

Good looking knives Charlie. I like the skinning hatchet, looks like a good idea.

You're right the difference is like night and day when it comes to the 2"x72" grinder. I finished building mine today. Couldn't wait to grind some metal. LOL

Larry

Great looking stuff . Can't wait to see them finished. I really like that hatchet and the recurve. Are you making your own handle material(burlap and green canvas).

Sure is nice work and design, Charlie! I really like them. You put a lot of thought into your work before you started.
Your boss otta give ya a raise. :D

Thanks John,

I do try to put lots of thought into them. Certain designs work well for certain tasks for a reason. I'm not one for making something look cool at the cost of function. I also sketch a lot. I have probably 30 different knife sketches laying in front me as I type. Most of them will never make it to steel.

Funny you mention my boss, she just volunteered me to make a knife for a fundraising auction at my church. Some of the ladies made up a beautiful quilt and thought it would be awesome if we could get some other handmade items. The church is raising funds for a multi-use building.

Guess the boss has got to give me some shop time. LOL

Charlie

Great looking stuff . Can't wait to see them finished. I really like that hatchet and the recurve. Are you making your own handle material(burlap and green canvas).

No, I'll leave the handle material to the experts. The Burlap is some that Jon Graham gave me a couple of years ago and I'm finally getting around to using it. The Green Canvas is just standard ol Micarta that I think I got from Northcoast Knives.

The Recurve is for me. 2thumbs I'm a bit nervous about the bevels as I've never done a recurve before. We'll see how it turns it out. Might wind up becoming a filet knife by the time I get done fixing mistakes. :cool:

Charlie

That skinning hatchet makes more sense to me every time I look at it. What a great design. Please show it when it's completed.

That skinning hatchet makes more sense to me every time I look at it. What a great design. Please show it when it's completed.

Will do for sure when I get it finished.

I put a lot of time into the design of this, even making up a dummy one out of 3/4" plywood to get a better idea for size and such. Trick will be finding a deer this fall to try it on. :D

Charlie

Back