Blued damascus and MOP folding dagger

papi

Hey everyone,
i just finished this little baby. Has 3" blade, the blade, bolsters and the bail are mirror polished and heat colored Chad Nichols raindrops damascus. Scales are MOP. All fileworked, incl. the screws, this is my first mirror polished double hollow grind, and i'm very happy with the way it turned out. Not so happy about the photos though, i had enough trouble to even take the picture where the mirror finish wouldn't look like crap, but at least something

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

Thanks for looking, Ondrej

Thanks guys, i appreciate your comments :)

Frankie, add something like that to the drawing if you want to :)

Ondrej

Thanks Mr. B. :)
MoP is a great material to work with. I heard horror stories about it. But as long as you have quality carbide three flute drill bits (the cheap HSS ones work as well, but you might wanna throw them out after one knife, just to be sure) and run them flat out (my mini mill has max 2000 rpm, works just fine), and always use paper tape on the surface and micarta backing, you are ok :) Yeah, and always fresh sandpaper 150grit and finer. Seems complicated, but you'll get the habit in a while, and then it's just fine. I love using MoP and working with it, because it's dimensionally stable, doesn't move, and can be wet-sanded. Ideal material :)

Ondrej

Thanks Ondrej,
3 flute drill bits at high speed and slow feed with tape on the exit hole and hard table? I can do that. I need to find the 3 flute drill bits though. I see plenty of 3 flute mills. Where do you buy the drill bits?

Tape on the side of hole the drill is coming in through, micarta, G10 or hardwood under the slab. I have my three flute drills re-ground from the three flute mills. I found out (and after i found out, i was told the same by my machinist friend), if you have 2 or four flutes on your mill/drill, it tends to stray away and make a hole that is oval or not so well centered. If you use three flute tool, it will keep itself precisely in the center of the hole, and you don't even need to clamp the thing you are drilling.
Also, some fluid (water is fine, machining oil even better) won't hurt with MoP :)

If i'm talking about something you already know, well, repetition is good sometimes :)

Ondrej

Last edited:
Tape on the side of hole the drill is coming in through, micarta, G10 or hardwood under the slab. I have my three flute drills re-ground from the three flute mills. I found out (and after i found out, i was told the same by my machinist friend), if you have 2 or four flutes on your mill/drill, it tends to stray away and make a hole that is oval or not so well centered. If you use three flute tool, it will keep itself precisely in the center of the hole, and you don't even need to clamp the thing you are drilling.
Also, some fluid (water is fine, machining oil even better) won't hurt with MoP :)

If i'm talking about something you already know, well, repetition is good sometimes :)

Ondrej

I have heard of the 3 flute mills but have never had them reground into drill bits. I wonder if we can buy 3 flute drill bits?
Thanks for sharing your experience Papi.

I was wondering the same thing, but after an hour of searching on the net, i just took a shortcut(not big on patience :) ). I have a boatload of these little three flutes here - use them in my pantograph, and basically for anything, and for me, it was easier that way :)

Back