Makers marks

Tod Lowe

So how can you be absolutely sure that your mark or name has not already been taken?
I am about to change my mark and have searched the internet to make sure someone isnt using what I want but is that enough?
I want to be sure nobody is using what I want.

I have seen lists with blacksmith touchmarks but have never seen any kind of list for knife makers. There have been several attempts made to make a list but not much response that I have ever seen. For that reason most accomplished makers recommend that makers use their name and maybe initial rather than an obscure mark so people can look for a name when trying to find a maker.

Just a little something to chew on,
Carey

As Carey said, "Use your name." I consider myself a blacksmith who makes a few knives. I have allways used "Wayne Coe" as my touch mark on both blacksmith work and blades and sheaths. I feel that if you have some mark unless you are a Francis Whitaker few outside of the blacksmithing community is going to know who made it. This can be important if they are trying to find the maker to get something else made. Some less than honest sellers have represented blacksmith work marked "PR" as the work of Paul Revere. Duhh!! Paul Revere was a Silversmith, makers did not mark their work back then and "PR" is Peter Ross. To show you how a lie can bite you, Peter was there and saw it happen.

Darryl Nelson also tells about a blacksmith asking him to make bear heads for use on a set of andirons that he was making. Darryl agreed and put his touch mark on the heads. Later he saw the andirons and his touch mark had been ground off! For that reason, I stamp my touch mark in DEEP. I also put my touch mark on the front of the work. "You can tell the difference in a Craftsman and an Artist because a Craftsman signs his work on the back and an Artist signs the front."

Thanks for the replies.
I had used RTLowe Which is my name and found out someone was already using it if u can believe that. I would have never thought someone else would be using it.
I will come up with something new I guess.
Thanks again.

Back