Drying Out Fresh Cut Burl Wood

Dan Dick

If anyone has some knowledge about drying out fresh cut (burl) wood I'd greatly appreciate anything you could throw my way. I've had my eye on a maple tree here in Hutch that had some large "tumors" as I call them, the round bowl shaped oddities that grow on trees where some of the nicest burl wood comes from. Well driving to work today they were cutting her down & I stopped and gave the guy $10 bucks to saw off four tumors. Two about basket ball diameter and two about 18" in diameter. This is why I'm asking, in the past I bought some walnut burl wood that was green, fresh cut, and it cracked pretty bad. I sealed that wood up with a wax type sealant I bought from an exotic woods company and let it dry out in my basement. If you have any knowledge in this area and have time to reply I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!, Dan. :confused:

Wax it well to retard drying and give it plenty of time, on the order of years. I lost about half of a block of Madrone burle by letting it dry too fast. I was luck that I could salvage anythning.

Doug Lester

Back