Very first forged blade!!!

McClellan Made Blades

OK Dogs,
Up for your critique, which means I do want pros AND CONS, opinions likes dislikes about my newest creation, I call this one "Heart and Soul", as that is what I put in it, check it out and tell what you think about it. This is my 8th knife finished, it turned out to have a lot fo firsts for me. 1st forged
1st use of copper and stag, here are the specs:
Hand Forged 1084 (from Aldo)
Blade length (approx)6.5 to 7 " ( I didn't measure the blade)
OAL 12.25
Handle- Sambar stag
Liners -Copper
Pin -Copper
Differential heat treat w/hamon.
I left some of the forging hammer marks on it, as the buddy I made it for likes that look, it's kinda growing on me now. This one is dedicated to my mentor, he gets my first forged knife, kinda the best way I could show him my gratitude for all he's done for me.
Now lets see if I can get the pics on here!!

Attachments

• My first forged blade.jpg
    My first forged blade.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_2442.jpg
    100_2442.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_2443.jpg
    100_2443.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 169
That is a very nice looking knife. I think that the hammer marks detract from it, but if that's what the customer wanted, that's what he wanted. The asymetry in the scales at the butt end of the handle is a bit of a problem for me too. I realize that your choices were to leave the scales with a raw surface overall or sand down that area even and have an inconsistant surface on that scale. You had to go one way or the other, so I respect your choice. It does go with the "rough" finish. Overall, there is not much to critisize on that knife.

Doug Lester

I like the overall design of the knife,and I kinda agree with doug on the handle . I do think he is right about the blade , except I like a knife either leaving more forged marks and even not grinding at all above the grinding line, or not leaving any at all. I have learned one thing from going to shows is every body has different tast, I have had knives that I thought would never sell because I didnt really like it and it would be one of the first to sell. That is a good looking knife you got there and I would be proud of it. Probally a lot better than my first forged knife I made at that stage. good job.

Last edited:
I think you have a good looking knife there. I agree with Billy about leaving forge marks on a blade but, again, that's just a personal taste thing. I also like to see a little more taper on a forged tang. I kinda like the scales the way they are though.

Ya done good and they will only get better from here.

Thanks for showing it off,
Carey

I have to say I kinda agree with doug on a few things if the customer wanted a ruff looking knife thats fine but to have it finished off shows your potential pretty much any smith can pound out a knife and leave it semi ruff . I would rather my work go out as best I can finish. Sorry I dont mean to sound so harsh . I just sold mt best knife it was so polished the guy grabbed it the second he saw it and paid me. The better the finish the faster they sell. Now for your first forged knife I think you did a pretty good job. kellyw

Thanks Dogs!!!! I have to say the feedback was incredible, the dilema of the hammer marks being left on there was a problem for me as well. I like to have as smooth a finish as possible, but one of the things I learned in forging is to STOP hammering when your arm feels like a noodle! The marks I left on there, although they were left intentionally, I most likely would not have been able to remove them, as they are a little too deep. I don't want to name the the guy I made it for just yet, it is a surprise for him. I know most of you all have had influences in your knifemaking, some of you have been lucky enough to have a mentor take you by the hand and show you the ropes. I was fortunate in more ways than I can conceieve when it comes to my mentor. I'll tell yall his name after I give it to him Saturday, some of you will understand right away. Thanks for ALL the feed back, as for the handle being left natural, I will say that it would have looked better if I hadn't goofed when I was grinding the inside of the tang, there was more that was on the end that got gone! It looked a lot better that way, but once it's gone, well you know! I'll keep posting pics of knives here as long as you all don't mind critiquing them, I need other opinions, to help me along my way. I value all of you guys points of view, because I know what I see isn't all there is to see, So THANK YOU!!! There will be more to come, hopefully I can get some time to finish the
mid-tech idea I've been working with. Again Thanks for all of your input,
REX
Woof Woof! ( No dogname jokes needed to be inserted here, thanks)

Thanks Dogs!!!! I have to say the feedback was incredible, the dilema of the hammer marks being left on there was a problem for me as well. I like to have as smooth a finish as possible, but one of the things I learned in forging is to STOP hammering when your arm feels like a noodle! The marks I left on there, although they were left intentionally, I most likely would not have been able to remove them, as they are a little too deep. I don't want to name the the guy I made it for just yet, it is a surprise for him. I know most of you all have had influences in your knifemaking, some of you have been lucky enough to have a mentor take you by the hand and show you the ropes. I was fortunate in more ways than I can conceieve when it comes to my mentor. I'll tell yall his name after I give it to him Saturday, some of you will understand right away. Thanks for ALL the feed back, as for the handle being left natural, I will say that it would have looked better if I hadn't goofed when I was grinding the inside of the tang, there was more that was on the end that got gone! It looked a lot better that way, but once it's gone, well you know! I'll keep posting pics of knives here as long as you all don't mind critiquing them, I need other opinions, to help me along my way. I value all of you guys points of view, because I know what I see isn't all there is to see, So THANK YOU!!! There will be more to come, hopefully I can get some time to finish the
mid-tech idea I've been working with. Again Thanks for all of your input,
REX
Woof Woof! ( No dogname jokes needed to be inserted here, thanks)

Rex I like you allready I think it is important to say thanks to the people that help us along the way. I will be checking back for the name of the guy that helped you learn about forging and by the looks of it you listened pretty good.

Rex I like you allready I think it is important to say thanks to the people that help us along the way. I will be checking back for the name of the guy that helped you learn about forging and by the looks of it you listened pretty good.

Billy,
I would love to say that I'm a great student, but I have to give him all the credit, I'll be telling everyone his name tomorrow night after we get done with dinner and the presentation, yes I have a flair for the dramatics. But if you don't SHOW the folks that you feel are special, MAKE them know it, how can you really show how much you appreciate them? Not to mention I think it's going to be a hoot when he pulls this beast out of a box in Olive Garden! Nobody freak out, we'll be discreet. Truth is, he has the paitence of Job, working with me anyway. He is a fantastic teacher, a lot younger than me, which I think makes him feel a little awkward sometimes. But not me, once you've seen some of his knives, or better yet used one, you'll know that he is very talented. His ability to set you at ease and let you know that you can do it, is what makes me think I can, not to mention he simplifies everything that can be. Where I tend to over complicate things, but he's fixing that in me, by a making the plan and sticking to it.

BTW, we may have some big news coming in the not too distant future, I won't elaborate, but I think Boss Dog might know what I'm talking about, from the phone call we had last week. Then again he might not, he has CRS real bad, not as bad as me, but you know how it is when the snow gets on the roof, then falls off!!! I would love to go ahead and tell what we're working on, but if I did and then find out it's not within our means, then I'll look like a scroungy mutt, that had a bad neuter job...so I'll wait till we find out more details, make sure we actually have an announcement, then spill it.
Thanks for all the compliments, and especially the views on the things that weren't liked. Knowing what someone likes in a blade and putting that in there is the definition of custom, and I agree with a lot of the comments about the rough look, it's not quite my cup of tea either, but as they say, "to each his own", I will say that rough look will grow on you, makes you know it was actually forged. Not just heated up and hammered a little bit, anyway, I'll have another one coming pretty soon, I've been workingon my shop all week, finally got a welder and been working on adding the wiring for it, plus I'm rearranging the shop a little to make the most of my space. Also,to make things easier to get to, so I don't have to walk so much. Yall be good, Rex

...and my mentor is....

Sorry guys, I didn't get back to everyone last night, we've been so busy. It's been a crazy weekend. To get to the reveal, my mentor and friend is
Charlie Edmondson, you may have heard of him you may not have. He's a relatively new maker, that is quickly getting his name and work known. I gave him his knife last night at dinner, we didn't go to Olive Garden, instead we went to Jim -N- Nicks, a Bar-B-Que joint, with great food. My wonderful wife had wrapped the knife up beautifully, (she also did most of the work on the sheath, as I had to take my son to baseball tryouts) I waited till after diner to give it to him, thanked him for all he'd done for me. Explained that I REALLY appreciated him and all he has done for me, and then gave it to him. He was blown away, it seems like the "givers" in this world are always giving, hardly ever receiving. He was beside himself the rest of the night. All in all, is was an incredible evening, we had an absolute BLAST. Here are a few of the pics I managed to get.

BTW, Thanks for all that were interested in this thread, and this little part of my life. That I believe will have a huge impact on the rest of it, Thanks Rex

Attachments

• 100_2445.jpg
    100_2445.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2446.jpg
    100_2446.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2447.jpg
    100_2447.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2448.jpg
    100_2448.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2449.jpg
    100_2449.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
man,I only hope that when I take up the hammer,
that my 50th blade turns out that well!:D
Your 1st is better than a few I've seen from more experienced makers,
so yeah,you should be proud.
Never be completely satisfied with anything you do tho:
that path leads to stagnation,and mediocrity.
Keep up the good work!

lol,I just looked at the pics of the unveiling:
that 3rd pic says it all...the happy disbelief on his face is priceless.
I bet that smile is still stuck to his face!

Last edited:
Ironwolf,
Thanks for the compliments, I'm NEVER FREAKIN SATISFIED!!! Actually that's my wife saying, "your never satisfied, how good does it have to be?" Or "What's wrong with it?" I can not make her understand the level of perfection that I want to attain on every knife I make. Now I'm no perfectionist, but I expect a lot of from myself.
Charlie's still as excited today as he was when he got it.
He's even showing it to his own customers! He is one of a kind, one awesome fellow, I'm proud to call my friend, and very fortunate to have him as my teacher. If you ever get the chance to hold one of his blades, make sure you have some money in your pocket, you won't want to let it go! I'll be sure to post more pics as soon as I can, this week I've been working on my mini press, hoping to have it mashing hot steel pretty soon. I've got to get it done or put it aside soon, I'm having a fit to get back to hammering!
Thanks again, Rex

Back