Forged from a coil spring

Mike Craddock

I forged this form a coil spring.
5 1/2" blade and OAL of 10", stainless fittings and stag.

let me know what you think.
DSC00294.jpg

Mike

2thumbsI like working with coil springs. It is hard to make folks that don't forge understand that you can take something round and make it sharp. Holds an edge well too.

Would that be boxcar spring or another type? Very nice!

Looks good mike did you stain that stag or was it dyed, I like the color. PS. I only use chevy springs as good as your knife looks you must have used chevy also....LOL :D

Nice looking work. I'm working towards getting the gear needed to start doing forge work and have been eyeballing an old totaled HMMWV (Hummer) that has been scrapped out on the training lane. It still has all of the springs left on the frame and I'm wondering if anyone would miss them if they find thier way to my shop. I think a blade froged from a HMMWV spring would be pretty cool.

Looks good mike did you stain that stag or was it dyed, I like the color. PS. I only use chevy springs as good as your knife looks you must have used chevy also....LOL :D

Thanks to all for the comments...
Billy: i used leather dye to color the stag.

I think this was a Jeep spring.
it's just a lot of fun to take something like the old useless spring and turn it into something that looks nice and will serve as something usefull.

Mike

Mike, I like your knife too! What shade of leather dye?

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Great looking knife.

Billy, dont those knives from Chevy springs just rust out?:);)

Come on sean every body know its only the bodys that rust out every thing else is awsome on chevys. Heck I had a 76 chevy that was our feed truck that we only had a flat bed no cab but away we would go.

Back