Carry Assisted Open

D

DKA

My assisted open is a Gerber Fast Draw. Opens easy and sharpens well at a reasonable price.

Attachments

• DSCF1523 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1523 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 179
My AO EDC is a ZT 0350. I love it and on the plus side Kershaw is a great company with outstanding customer service.

DSC_0529.jpg

Nice, but...

My assisted open is a Gerber Fast Draw. Opens easy and sharpens well at a reasonable price.

I have a couple of these also well. Favorite EDC until I discovered a rather annoying "feature" -- knife will open on its own if dropped on tile floor or other smooth, hard surface. One instance an inch or so from my bare foot put them into the "to sell" box. Nice knife otherwise...

I have a couple of these also well. Favorite EDC until I discovered a rather annoying "feature" -- knife will open on its own if dropped on tile floor or other smooth, hard surface. One instance an inch or so from my bare foot put them into the "to sell" box. Nice knife otherwise...

Glad that you posted that, now carry SOG Flash II, very good knife and has a safety.

I use a Camillus Dominator titanium frame lock. Very awesome knife.

My speed assist seems to have fizzled out on my Kershaw blackout... No idea why it's not working correctly. But yes I have had it open by itself as well the times I've dropped it.

I like the ZT 0350, too. A very nice knife for the price.

Attachments

• zt3.jpg
    zt3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 73
  • zt5.jpg
    zt5.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 53

That's what I'm carrying too. I got it for Xmas and it's holding up well. I have been abusing it cutting wire and heavy duty antenna cable. It holds an edge well and sharpens very easy. And I don't have to worry about ruining an expensive knife. The way I use a knife at work I rarely carry anything that costs more than $60-$80

I love my Fastdraw, I have put mine through the wringer and it still functions 100%
whole.jpg

Side2a.jpg

side1.jpg

Since it has served me well I have retired it from EDC, this is my new rotation.

CRKT M16-14 - Not assisted but with the flipper tab and the blade weight it opens up pretty quick.
Kershaw Tanto Blur - For the price I don't think it can be beat, it springs out with force, holds an edge, sharpens easily, and I don't think I paid but about $40 for it.
Microtech Ultratec 05/2007 date stamped. Even after almost 3 years it still fires hard and retracts just as well.
edc.jpg

My speed assist seems to have fizzled out on my Kershaw blackout... No idea why it's not working correctly. But yes I have had it open by itself as well the times I've dropped it.

Fletch, I've been EDC'ing my Kershaw Blackout since they first came out years ago, and occasionally it seems to slow down a bit, or get sluggish. What I do is give it a good cleaning and lubricate the pivot area with a couple of drops of Sentry Solutions Tuff Glide...usually brings it right back. Hope that helps some. -Matt-

Fletch, I've been EDC'ing my Kershaw Blackout since they first came out years ago, and occasionally it seems to slow down a bit, or get sluggish. What I do is give it a good cleaning and lubricate the pivot area with a couple of drops of Sentry Solutions Tuff Glide...usually brings it right back. Hope that helps some. -Matt-

Thanks, I figured out the torsion bar is shot on it. I called them and they said that it's what the problem is. They actually sent me out 2 new torsion bars for it, I just haven't replaced it yet because there is a screw that they had a special tool made for them to remove. It's essentially like a Corby rivet however it doesn't accept 2 screwdrivers to take it apart. I just haven't had the patience to monkey with it lately. Mine wasn't slow or sluggish.. it just did nothing when I tried to open it, it was like opening any other folder.

Well that sucks! I hope you get that problem fixed soon.

I've never heard of a knife company giving a customer the parts and having them fix it themselves.:confused: Just doesn't seem right to me. -Matt-

Well that sucks! I hope you get that problem fixed soon.

I've never heard of a knife company giving a customer the parts and having them fix it themselves.:confused: Just doesn't seem right to me. -Matt-

Kershaw will do both. You can send it in and they will fix it and sharpen it, general spa treatment or you can get the parts and do it yourself. I have dealt with them several times and they always say send it in, I ask for the parts though and they send them. They also sent me the Kershaw torx tool and the new screws for the G - 10 scales. They have always been a great company to deal with.

Kershaw will do both. You can send it in and they will fix it and sharpen it, general spa treatment or you can get the parts and do it yourself. I have dealt with them several times and they always say send it in, I ask for the parts though and they send them. They also sent me the Kershaw torx tool and the new screws for the G - 10 scales. They have always been a great company to deal with.

Ok, my bad! I was assuming that they weren' giving folks an option for those kinds of repairs! I try to keep the assumtions to a minimum, but sometimes they get the best of me! :eek: Thanks! -Matt-

Yeah they offered to send it in. I figured it would be quicker to just do it myself. However with that one screw giving me problems, for the time I've shelved it, I could have sent it back and had it back in my hands by now :eek:

Yeah they offered to send it in. I figured it would be quicker to just do it myself. However with that one screw giving me problems, for the time I've shelved it, I could have sent it back and had it back in my hands by now :eek:

Fletch, could you post a picture of the pivot screw your talking about?

I recommend the SOG Flash ll, not only do you have to use the thumb stud to start the assisted openong mechanism, but it also has a "safety" switch to keep it from opening by accident. The "action" on this knife is incredibly fast.

Back