Penny pinching over saftey

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I think Ed caffey will agree and post to my thread. We all need to take a few min a week to look at our shop to see what little improvement we can make to help our shop be safer HERE IS MINE. Cost doesnt matter it was 300 bucks , PRICE SAVINGS = YOUR LUNGS. This doesnt replace my half or full face respirator it simply allows more control of the very fine dust that is harmful. Ed I hope you dont mind me making reference to you. I just found out im headed for major neck surgery so im thinking saftey minded these days .Its a 1 micron filter for my 1200 cfm dust collector.
HPIM2114.jpg

Last edited:
My hose to the collector it over 10 ft im thinking 12 0r 14 ft and its cooled by the time it gets to the bin. Good question .

Hellgap

I wish more of us would think about safety first!

Its funny, Im an NDT Insoector and also work as a Health & Safety Rep also.

"Ive looked at several things in my own shop and thought " I wouldnt allow MY employees to work in these conditions"

Im ashamed to admit it, but I know we all cut corners on safety "Just this once" and sadly enough, it usually "just that once" that get us badly injured or killed!

If I were concerend with sparks, adding an in line spark arrestor is easy enough to do, Its a metal trashcan with an inlet and outlet in the lid. Put water in the barrel, heavier metal particles fall into the water. (at least thats my understanding)

Nice looking filter unit, whats the brand?

God Bless
Mike

I bought this from {the tool crib} in moose jaw sask canada . They run about 350 canadian but the filter is another 250 on sale. I have noticed a big difference since i took the bag theat it comes with off. I just found out about another container like a filter to catch the larger items then sucks only small dust particals to the main catch container. That piece is called a cyclone and is 60 bucks look like ill be getting one

I've got my dust collector in a little shed beside the shop. I hate pulling warm air out of the shop in the winter or cool air in the summer but it's amazing how many small particles make it through even good filters.

Would it work if you used a "t" with a cap on one end to have the heavier/hotter particles to fall into and let the finer particles get pulled into the collector? Flip the "t" on it's side with a cap on the bottom and run the hose horizontally. Then you would just have to remove the cap to clean out the bigger stuff which should be cooled by then.

Just a little comment on the afordability of safety features. If some safety devise seems a little expensive, remember, it's hard to get out of the ER for less than $1000 these days. I hate to think what that little sojourn Ed had to make to the hospital cost him out of pocket. Scrimping on safety could end up being penny wise and pound foolish.

Doug Lester

Back