Need some help on a possible purchase(s)

Fletch Helical

I found a guy selling 2 drill presses and a lathe from an old machine shop. One is a benchtop model which is central machinery (Harbor Freight), it's a 16 speed. Guy told me had one person offer him $75 for it but whether or not the guy shows is another story. As of right now I'll get first crack at the stuff tomorrow since I'm following him to the place to meet him.

The second press he said was a Buffalo, which I'm guessing is Buffalo Forge form searching online. I know nothing about them, but it's a floor model and also 16 speed.

The lathe is a Pratt and Whitney with a 6"swing, but he said it looks like it was cut out to accept a little bit larger stock. Has a 3 jaw chuck and he said some other things that go with it. Also said it has either a 1.5 or 2hp variable speed motor with reverse. Now I don't know that I have a need for a lathe fr making knives but the motor alone would probably be worth having if I can get it cheap. Maybe rig it up to a NWG or something.

So I need some help dogs, anyone think any of this stuff is worthwhile? If so what do you guys think pricewise (for me to make out like a bandit) these things are worth, if anything.

Last edited:
My thoughts were, even if the lathe is kind of shot, the motor can be used for something right assuming it's at least a 1.5 variable speed? From what I was told there was a lot more machinery in there, but he said some "machine shop guys" took the bulk of the machines. He said he had a bunch of presses, some mills, lathes, etc. So part of me thinks that if what was worth anything was likely taken already. Unless this particular lathe was just too small.... I found a website for the buffalo press, spoke to a lady there. She sold me what the logo should look like and if it's actually one of theirs they can make replacement parts for any machine they've ever made if it's an old one. So I may be leaning towards that press if I'm definitely not paying $75 for a HF press.

Yeah the HF will drill holes and it's a lot better than a hand held drill , but the thing wobbles so much you almost have to use one size smaller bit han you want I have bought another because I'm saving to buy a mill/drill, when I do mines going on craigs list. If you can get the lathe cheap enough I suppose it would be a good deal but I imagine if it was in any kind of shape the machinist would have taken it.

Back