Etching solution suppliers

• Thread starter J.McDonald Knives
  • Start date
J

J.McDonald Knives

Looking for a place to buy etching solutions. I'm on a limited budget so need least expensive place.

Check Radio Shack for PCB Etchant Solution. Some of the guys here have said that thier local Radio Shacks no longer carry it. I spoke to the manager of my local store and they had one bottle in stock (I bought it!). He told me that according to his records each store was allowed to have two bottles "in stock" at any time. He went on to tell me that if I needed more he could recieve a resupply every two weeks. If your local store does not have it, ask the manager to get it for you.

PCB is an "in store" only purchase from Radio Shack. Unfortunately you can't order it on-line. If your local store has it or is willing to get it for you the price is $9.99 for a 16 oz bottle.

If you strike out with the PCB, try using hot vinegar. It doesn't work as fast as PCB or other etchant solutions, but it will work. It just takes a few minutes as opposed to a few seconds. I did this blade tonight in hot vinegar.

attachment.php

Attachments

• necker 33.jpg
    necker 33.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Is that for electro etching? I ordered my stencil from Ernie yesterday. Sorry about the confusion.

J
I just use salt water. All you really need is an electrolytic solution. I put a spoon of salt in a cup of warm water. It has worked fine for me.

I'd feel more comfortable using electro etch solution, not to mention I don't feel comfortable using the salt water solution with my carbon steel blades.

Mr McDonald I would just use Salt water, if you dont like that you can use vinegar and salt.
I use it on my carbon steels and stainless steels and it works just fine.

I'd feel more comfortable using electro etch solution, not to mention I don't feel comfortable using the salt water solution with my carbon steel blades.

J,
I understand using the stuff made for doing whatever it is your trying to do, but do understand the electrolyte you buy will rust a blade quicker than salt. I have an Etch-O-Matic, the kit I bought comes with a neutralizer solution, and it also recommends using WD-40 before etching. If your looking for a cheaper way of doing anything, the advice you get from the guys on here is priceless. Before disregarding what they have to say, try it on a scrap piece of steel. That way you will have real world knowledge of what they are saying, and KNOW if it is for you or not.

Think about it like this, making knives is not easy, if you had to learn every step of knife making by trial an error, there would be so few guys like us even attempting to make a knife. Not to mention, these guys have learned a lot of their knowledge the hard way, and share it freely. Not something you see in many industries these days. Especially when your talking about becoming one of their competitors one day. My point is try it, see for yourself what it will do, sometimes these methods work better than the store bought stuff.
Just my 2 cents worth of advice, as a new maker the guys on here have helped me in so many ways, whether they know it or not, I tend to read more than I type, grabbing every tidbit of knowledge I can Rex

Thanks for the advice bro. I'll give it a try later on but knowing how I am I chose to go with the store bought stuff for now. I can try both methods and see which I do like better.

Just talked to Ernie today and my stencils went into the mail this morning.

I agree with McCleland everyone offers free advice . When you show the etchant your thinking of buying but then say where ca n I get it cheaper . Some one offers the solution recipe for free and you disregard it . What do you want ?? Sorry but I respect every person on here for the time they take to help me with all my questions. I just bought a stencil from ernie and did 50 knives with 20 drops of solution . The bottle will do 500 to 1000 marks that would be about 2 pennys per mark for etchant.

I was trying to find something so I figured I would just try looking but I was waiting to hear what yall say would be a place to buy for cheaper. Also posted the link to what TKS had so there was less confusion as to what I was looking for. I did not disregard the solution recipe, I was only stating that I would feel better using something I bought to do the job than to make it only cause I know how I am. I too respect everyone here, ask IG, Bruce Bump, Bruce Evans, Les George, and a few more. I talk to them and have known some of them for a few years now. And if you read my last post I stated I would give it a try later but right now I'm just going to use the store bought stuff. I ordered 1 pint of the cleaner and the etching solution from TruGrit.

Back