Knife # 7 A Bowie! !!!!! at last, PoPs lets me make one.

D

darci

Hi everybody its been a long time,i've been doing basketball,softball,school,dirt bike ridding ,and some knife making . So this is the story ,one morning about a month ago I got up with something heavy on my chest "again" and yes you guessed it ,it was a billet with a note on it saying find your dog he has a note for you ,it wasnt to hard to find "SPOT" he was right next to me i took the note from him "tied to his leg" and on the note it had three big bowies that POPs had drawn out and it said its about time for your big BOWIE .so i took the drawing and set them aside and made my own bowie ,i tried to make it like a kbar bowie knife i have seen before. and started .this bowie has a 9 1/2 blade and is 1/4" thick.and 1 7/8 wide at the biggest part. now i only worked on it for 30min. at a time for the last month,i hollow ground the edge and flat ground the swege "false top" and tried some of my first file work.its going to be a sub hilt with leather handle like the kbar.My Pops drilled the guards for me and put our mark on it for me but thats it.dont want to much help from the old man.HA HA HA.sorry its not finished yet but i hoping by the end of the week. i love the pattern of the billet. at last my first bowie.
DSC02379.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02370.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Darci, you and Pops make a great team. I hope that you stick with knifemaking because you show a real tallent for it. A lot of makers who have been at it a lot longer than you have can't do work that good. In general, I'm not too thrilled about bowies but there is something about the recurve that you worked into that blade that really sets it off.

Doug Lester

Thanks Mr. Lester Pops said I get my own stamp"mark"as soon as i come up with one. that was easy "DARCI" so its on its way when he orders more for him.

Darci,

WOW:eek:....I need to come sit in with you and your dad. This is going to be a mean looking blade.

Keep it up Darci....You already put many of us to shame.....lol

Great looking piece so far!

Chris

Darci, I really like the shape of that blade. well done. You are a talented young lady and I hope you keep making knives.

Larry

Darci, you have done a terrific job on that blade and what I can see of the file work. You have a tremendous talent. I love the design and the pattern in the steel. But you didn't tell us how the basketball season is going. Hope it has gone well. Denny

Outstanding! You do indeed have a talent for knifemaking. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Darci - I hate you!!

You are 1/4 my age. You have 1/4 my experience at knife making.

And, yet you turn out stuff like this that is four times the quality I can ever hope to produce. Its just not fair.

:p:p

In all seriousness, you really do have an immense amount of talent and you're in good hands with "Pops" at your side. I look forward to seeing what you do with this blade.

Darci, you are a very talented young lady and I love your enthusiasm. Your work just looks better and better all the time.

Keep up the good work, you make us all proud.

Carey

I wish I could turn out a knife like that with only 15 hours into it ,you have a heck of a good teacher. kellyw

up date on handle

Hey all ,first of all THANK YOU FOR COMMENTS ON MY BOWIE. SO,Pops picked me up from school early today ,because i have my first softball practice and i go to school in another town where my mom teaches ,and i would be late if we did it at the real time.BUT as soon as i got in the jeep POPS said the glue on your bowie is dry we have time to shape it some with a big grin on his face !!!!!!! .so when we got home we sat and talked over how i should shape it and off i went to the grinder . have any of you guys just wanted to cry when you mess up something ??????? OK so i was crying when POPs came in the shop O MY GOD I thought he was going to have a heart attack ,he started yelling are you hurt where,where whats wrong ?????? i new i should not of left you in here alone then he said "**** Your moms gonna kill me " i just looked at him and started laughing ,Poor man he was all mixed up."HAHAHA" after i showed him that i took the top of the handle down to much right after the first guard ,he said i'll tell you how to fix it the best we can,and said we never mess up being knifemakers it just a design change ,smiled and left me to myself to fix my "design change" any ways this is what i came up with.I still have to make a rear cap for it right now just two old washers holding things together.and do some fine sanding,shaping.

DSC02396.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovin that knife Ms Darci. My 18 year old son is learning and I showed him this knife,he turned green. With envy. Keep up the good work.

Back