Caper Scandi

Dacks

Here's the latest:

"Caper" is how us local yocals here refer to ourselves. "Scandi".... well I'm sure you all know this one!

So..... I decided to have a go at my version of a Scandi knife with a bit of Cape Breton influence. This is my first attempt at a traditional scandi sheath with a back-side seam and belt loop. I took some liberties with the belt loop styling which departs from the traditional. I'm sure with a bit of practice this sheath style would get easier to do and better looking, but I'm pleased with this first effort.... they are not at all easy to construct.

I'm in the process of making a traditional Sami sheath for this knife made with a moose antler lower and leather upper. It'll be a while so I just "whipped this up" in the mean time.

The blade just needs to be sharpened which I'll do tomorrow.

Thanks for looking. Comments, critiques, tips, and bone rattling criticism are all welcome.

Here's the deets(as the kids say):

Blade: 4 1/2" x 3/16" O1 steel, full flat grind, hand rubbed to 800 grit, bolted tang

Handle: Weathered Moose antler and Birch bark, ebonized Pear wood spacers with a buffed Tung oil and carnuaba wax finish.

Sheath: Wet formed 5 oz. veg tanned cow hide, two-tone dye, buffed Bear Grease finish.

You all have come to expect stunningly poor photos from me..... I will not disappoint you here . It actually looks better in hand.

scandicaper007.jpg

scandicaper008.jpg

scandicaper011.jpg

scandicaper009.jpg

scandicaper.jpg

scandicaper015.jpg

scandicaper014.jpg

scandicaper013.jpg

scandicaper017.jpg

scandicaper019.jpg

Last edited:
wow! beautiful knife and sheath. Just a tip, there is tutorial on building on a photo light box in the tutorial section. You will hav to invest a whole $5.00 in setting it up, but your photos will improve 100%.

I really really like that knife!

Thank you all very much for the compliments. Your kind words are greatly appreciated!

Curtis - I'm actually an extraordinarily accomplished photographer with skills way beyond those of most. It has taken me decades to perfect the technique of photographic camouflage. Indeed, the fact that you all have complimented me on this knife is testament enough to the effectiveness of this technique. I've even been asked to provide a photo tutorial on just how I work my shutter magic..... which I have repeatedly declined so as to protect proprietary techniques of unique value. I'm sure you understand.

ok... so I'll make a light box already!

Preview
"Curtis - I'm actually an extraordinarily accomplished photographer with skills way beyond those of most. It has taken me decades to perfect the technique of photographic camouflage. Indeed, the fact that you all have complimented me on this knife is testament enough to the effectiveness of this technique. I've even been asked to provide a photo tutorial on just how I work my shutter magic..... which I have repeatedly declined so as to protect proprietary techniques of unique value. I'm sure you understand."

You ain't right Dacks but it sure is a purdy knife and sheath. Well done.

Carey

Back