I got an etcher!!!

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I bought all my parts and built and etcher :eek:and..................It works2thumbs

I cut out a small t in black tape and tried etching some steel, It worked lol
Now I can order my stencils from Ernie and mark the knives I make!!!

Here are a few pics.

this one is of my messy little kitchen table while I was working on the etcher!!
003-9.jpg

This one is of the etcher
004-7.jpg

This one shows the etch I did!!!
005-4.jpg

I would also like to know where you got the plans from . Your finished product loks great:)

Way to go Ernie, you didn't waste any time getting your etcher together. You definitely have the fever. :)

Larry

Guys, what is the Crawford build etcher outputting?

I'm considering building one.

With 120v @60hz it is about 26-28v

Thank you Rusty.

Am I right in thinking that's a higher voltage than other machines?

How's the longevity of the stencils with that voltage?

I'm sure I have read about burning up stencils if you over do it.

Is it just a case of lots of short bursts of etching?

thanks all, I had fun making it!!

I cant wait to get the stencils and put my mark on my first knife!!

Thank you Rusty.

Am I right in thinking that's a higher voltage than other machines?

How's the longevity of the stencils with that voltage?

I'm sure I have read about burning up stencils if you over do it.

Is it just a case of lots of short bursts of etching?

I usually get around 25-35 etches out of one stencil. more if I'm Careful. But If I want a really crisp clean etch I use a new one. But For 10 they are $25 from my supplier. not bad for cost considering.
And yes slow and steady wins this race. You cant rush when your doing etching. Consider this, you have say 10-40 hours in a blade to the point you want to mark it. so it takes aonther 45 minutes to etch it correctly, it's worth the small amount of time it takes to be careful rather than redoing your polishing or hand sanding to mark it again.

i thought It was 12 volt plans!!

The Transformer Mr Crawford sugests using is a 25.5v 1.0a rated tx. I use one a bit stronger. Door bell Transformer is what they are called and most have center taps from 5v, 12v, 18v so you can have the correct voltage for your bell or the lite in the bell button. Even though they are rated at these voltages it depends on the input voltage as to the output. Most electrical companies are pushing from 115-135v ac to your home on a single phase to get the current to go farther down the lines more efficiently. This will vary the output of the transformer accordingly. You may notice when you shop for lite bulbs that there are 110v lite bulbs and there are 120v bulbs, Get the 120 they last longer.

Back