belt grinder WIP

LR Adkins

The first thing I would like to say is if you are building your own grinder the NWG is the way to go. It is well thought out and all the bugs worked out and is easy to build with little experience and tools. With a 2hp motor it is a metal eating monster and well worth the effort.

No, Tracey didn't pay me to say that:)

I built my grinder just to see what I could come up with using scrap metal that was lying around in my shop.

Here's how I put it together.

I had a piece of 2"x3" rectangular tubing left over from my last trike build so I cut an 18" piece to use for the base. Then I cut 4- pcs of 1" wide flat stock 1 1/4" long and drilled a 3/8" hole in each. then welded these to the ends of the base.

Last edited:
I cut 1" square tubing 9" long and drilled a 3/8" hole 4" from the end for a pivot bolt. This piece I am calling the pivot tube. Then I cut 2pcs of 1" flat stock 1 1/4" long and drilled a 3/8" hole in each piece centered 5/16" form the end. I then welded the tabs on the front end of the pivot tube with a 1" space.

Next I cut 1" square tubing 1 3/4" long then drilled a 3/8" hole centered 1/2" from the end, turned it 90 degrees and drilled a 1/2" hole centered 1/2" from the other end. This hole is for the tracking wheel.

Last edited:
I cut a 1 1/2" angle iron 11" long for the main column and drilled a 3/8" hole centered 1/2" down from the top of this angle iron.

Next I cut a 1" square tubing 5" long for the front column to hold the tool bar socket. Then I cut a 2"square tubing 8" long for the tool bar socket. I drilled 2- 3/8" hole in the 2" tubing and welded 3/8 nuts over these holes and used a 3/8 tap to clean the holes up. This is to tighten the tool arm in the tool bar socket.

Oh I forgot to mention I had a helper.

Here are these pieces tack welded together to check alignment.

Last edited:
Next I cut a 1" flat stock 2 1/4" long, drilled a 3/8" hole centered 1/2" from one end and welded a 3/8 nut over the hole and cleaned it up with the 3/8 tap. I welded this to the underside of the tracking arm lined up with the tracking pivot brackets.

Then I welded a 1" wide flat stock 2 1/2" long to the bottom end of the tracking pivot.

This is the tracking system put together.

and installed on the main column.

Next I cut 2pcs 2" wide and 5" long and drilled 3/8" holes for the bearing blocks for the jack shaft and welded them to the back top side of the base.

Last edited:
cry me a river 1 That's when the power went off.

We're having a snow storm here. Usually if someone farts around here the power goes off.

I'll probably finish the grinder Mon. so stay tuned for the finished product.:bud:

Larry

Oh this is good. I was amazed at how much the dog you built looked so life like. Great so far can't wait to see it up and going.

Her name is Sassy. She's a long haired Jack Russel and insists on going everywhere with me.

Larry

Lookin good,Larry,....lookin good.I am ready to see it finished.
2thumbs
It's funny.When that power goes out,everything just seems to stop.:D

Looking very cool. Can't wait to see this one finished. I drilled the last holes for my NWGS last night and realized that I can't count. I'm 3 bolts short of being able to put it together. Oh, well, I'll get those today.

Charlie

Larry,

Thanks for doing this WIP, it's nice to be able to see how one of these is put together. I've seen a few of them done but this will give me a better idea as to whether I might want to try to tackle one down the road if I decide I need another grinder.

Carey

Calvin, I just took some ideas from the NWG and used what I had on hand to build mine. I have a welder so I welded it instead of bolting it together.

Hopefully I'll finish mine Mon. if I can get to my shop. My old bones don't like the cold anymore or walking in the deep snow.

Larry

Sorry everyone I can't finish my grinder for a couple of days. We are in the middle of another winter storm. We got 12" this weekend and it's coming down hard right now. I tried to get to my shop this morning but the street hasn't been plowed and the drifts are well above my bumper.

Larry

Here we go again. I made a socket for the tool rest and welded it to the base. The inside dimension is 1" so a 1" square tube will fit inside.

Next I cut a 1"sq. tubing 20" long then drilled a 3/4" hole through the end to hold a 3/4" round stock 4 1/2" long. Then I turned the sq. tubing 90 degrees and drilled a 5/16" hole centered over the 3/4" hole and welded a 5/16" nut on the hole.

Next I cut a 2" sq.tubing 2" long and a 1" sq. tubing 1 1/4" long. I drilled a 3/4" hole through the 1" sq. tubing and welded it to the 2" sq. tubing and pushed the 3/4" round stock into the 3/4" hole. Then I went to the opposite end of the 2" sq tubing drilled a 5/16 hole, welded a nut over the hole.

Then I cut 2 pcs of 1 1/2" angle iron 6" long ( I think ) I welded these together and welded a square piece to one end and used this for my tool rest.

Last edited:
I lost some pictures but heres pics of the complete tool rest assembled on the grinder.

Next picture is the completed grinder before I lined up the wheels and installed the motor. My mig welder ran out of wire so I couldn't finish everything up today. Tomorrow I will hopefully get wire for the welder and finish it. Then I will paint it and get a finished picture on here.

Last edited:
Back