My first foray into Damascus

StephanFowler

or at least, the first ones I'm willing to show people........

Started with a 12 layer billet folded to 300 layers, then "W" patterned for 125 "W's"
I tried to do the "ferry flip" but found that my press doesn't understand the concept of "square" which made for some interesting pattern distortion.

6" 1084-15n20 Tight W Pattern blade
stainless guard
ironwood handle

jd-xmas09.jpg

This one's pattern turned out much more as I desired.

Started with 12 layers again, went straight to W patterning up to 25 W's in a 3/8th bar, then laddered

5 1/2" Bold Pattern Laddered W Damascus Blade (1084-15n20)
Stainless Guard
Desert Ironwood Handle

kd-xmas09.jpg

They are both nice, but I agree with you & like the 2nd one the best. Don't let them be your last. I'm getting ready to work with damascus for the first time (stock removal), can't wait til I have the equipment to forge & weld my own!!!

Great looking knives. Dont give up on the ferry flip. I dont know what style your press is but my press is a c frame. When I get down to the last 1/8 left to press I use a stop block on both sides of the billet that helps a bunch. When I mill the billet clean I only have about .060 or so to take off. Good luck

LOL...well, it may not understand the square concept, but it beats the dickens out of a 12 pound sledge. ;~)

Looks great at any rate. And I love that sexy handle shape too. I think they came out a lot better than you give them credit for Stephan.

Very nice.

Stephan those knives look really nice, I would like to offer some advice on the blade etching process. First off I am only trying to help and there are more than one way to skin a cat so here it is. 1) make sure you sand to 600 grit I perfer hand sanding from 400 on.
2)I try to etch at about 70 degrees. It is slower but will give you a much better etch.
3) etch the blade untill the black builds up and you dont see your pattern very well. This takes about 10 to 12 minutes.
4) take blade out wash in water, I also use 1500 grit dull paper and re sand the blade pretty clean.
5) Reapeat 3,and 4 untill your happy with the etch.
6) Go back to the water and 1500 dull paper and re sand. After each etch the black will not build up as much and the etching gets quicker so watch it.The time that it soakes will vary on the strength of you etch.
7)Last but not least wash blade in water again , I hit mine with the 1500 paper again. It is important to wash every time in water or some other fluid to keep small scratches from showing,

Best of luck your patterns are looking good so show them off. Here is a picture of a blade etched.
100_0525.jpg

Nice mate!
I like them. The handles look as though they would be comfortable to use.
cheers
mitch

Back