Will this work as an Etcher?

• Thread starter J.McDonald Knives
  • Start date
J

J.McDonald Knives

If so how much voltage do I need? Also which lead holds the pad?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01713.jpg
    DSC01713.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01715.jpg
    DSC01715.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 121
Anyone know how much voltage I need for a good etch? Also need contact info for a custom stencil. What else do I need to get for this?

i got my stencils from TUS.......... i think..... i'll have to check the email.... hahaha!

That unit looks like it should work. I don't know about the voltage, or amperage etc required, but the fact that it is an ac/dc converter with a rheostat looks good.

I get my stencils from Marking Methods. You can reach them at

Marking Methods, Inc. - Los Angeles
301 South Raymond Avenue
Alhambra, CA 91803-1531
626-282-8823 phone

They are pretty easy to talk to on the phone. Once the set up fees are taken care of the stencils and supplies are fairly reasonable. They can supply the electrolyte soloution and neutralizer as well as the stencils. You will also need a hand pad and some felt applicators for the hand pad.

There is also a knifemaker named Ernie ?? that makes custom stencils for makers without a set up charge but I can't find his name or contact info. Maybe someone can come up with that./SIZE]

Someone told me I also need AC as well as DC power. I don't think this can be converted to work with both without spending a lot of money. I got this one for free from my grandpa, it was one of the things I inherited after he passed away.

Looks like it would work. The "personalizer" is rated at 12 volts and the "personalizer plus" is rated at 18 volts. Appears that one is variable from 0-24volts.

Contacted Ernie and sent him an image. Hes going to get back to me with a finished stencil design. Anyone know how to modify this machine to do both AC and DC?

Well I popped the cover on this one. Here are the pics. Is there a way to modify this one for AC/DC or is it only gonna work for DC? I know I need to replace the power cord with a 3 prong cord.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01716.jpg
    DSC01716.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC01717.jpg
    DSC01717.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 84
Well it certainly can be done but I would not call it easy. You have to put in a switch that by passes the rectifier and filter section. But depending how the potentiometer is wired in you may need to add a second one to control the AC. In theory you could just use the transformer output with a second pot for 0-24 volts AC control. But I have never tried this for etching. I am not sure if 60 HZ is going to be a good frequency. If you decide to try this, please install an inline fuse before the transformer on your new 3 prong plug because the one on the board will be bypassed with the rectifier. Good luck

I think I ain't gonna mess with changing it. I'll just switch leads if I want it to be blacker.

Back