MY BLADES CUT STEEL

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
I teach classes at my shop on the second Saturday of each month. I have promised each of my students that when they get an anvil I will make them a hot cut, fitted to his anvil. The original stock is a 4" piece of 1 3/4" coil spring.
See, I told you that my blades cut steel.

Attachments

• HOT CUT 4.jpg
    HOT CUT 4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 158
  • HOT CUT 5.jpg
    HOT CUT 5.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 157
  • HOT CUT 6.jpg
    HOT CUT 6.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I'd like to know where you got the spring.I would like to try and make one of those.
Stan

remind them to take those out of the anvil when they aren't using them. I learned that the hard way....

1 3/4 coil springs

Yeah, Boss, you only do that once, don't you, "Ole Three Fingers"?

I think that the spring is a "coupling spring" from a rail road car. It is 7 feet long and about a foot in diameter so I have lots of it. I see some short springs out of this size stock when I go to the Choo-Choo Forge in Chattanooga at the Rail Road Museum. Check around if there are any yards near you. Come on out and I will give you 4".
:haha:
Or host a belt grinder workshop and I will bring it with me.
I could ship it for $10.00.
I hope you have a power hammer and a press. I straighten and spread it with the press.

Good morning Wayne!

That is one serious hot cutter.

I took a look at the kind of work you do on your web site. Now I see what you were talking about with the pair of leaves. Beautiescool 1

Looking forward to your visit in April.

Nice to make your acquaintance, Fred

Thanks Wayne,I have a railcar repair place not to far from me so I'll check there.I have a 20ton mini press and an organic power hammer (buddy w/a12lb sledge) so it might be a job.
Stan

Back