Look What We Did

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I went down to hang out with my buddy Jerry Bond this morning and he helped me to heat treat some blades. You may recognize this one as one I did a post on a couple of weeks ago.

Jerry had some Satanite mixed up this morning so I decided to give it a shot on a blade. This blade is by stock removal and made of Aldo's 1084. It still has alot of work left, but we couldn't resist cleaning up part of it and giving it a quick etch to see what we could see. What do you think?

Can you believe it shows up better in this photo than it does in person?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hammon.jpg
    Hammon.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 217
I would love to say that this was skill, but it was 100% LUCK. Hopefully Jerry and I will be able to get some more of these pretty lines on some more blades soon.

Turning out great Murph. Please get us some handles on that baby so we can drool.

Looking good buddy, I like the hamon line. I think it gives great character2thumbs

Consider this my Tag for later.

Keep it up Murph!!!

Chris

Hey Rusty, I paid attention during a phone conversation I had with this guy in L.A. (Lower Arkansas for you non-Arkansans). Thanks for the tips.

Appreciate the comments guys. My nest day off I'm going to try and get this blade finish ground and sanded. We just did a little cleaning and etching on it real quick today to see if we could see anything. I'm going to try to have this one, my bowie project, and several little neckers done prior to the AKA Show next month. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Thanks James. I just hope I don't pull a "Murph". You know, where I'm really happy with the progress of a project and begin the completion phase and screw it up. I've pulled alot of those stunts, but I'm gonna put up a copy of Sean's sign in my shop behind the grinder, and behind the drill press, and kydex press, and vise.........

Murph, I'll go ahead and get 2000 grit paper & some Flitz. Will be ready next time. {I hope]
Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Murph,

You make my steel look great! If anything goes wrong, You let me know and I'll send you another piece.

Aldo

LOL, it's kinda funny you mention that Aldo.........Jerry and I have a funny story for you.

OK Aldo, Don't look like Murph is going to say anything else, so I will tell you. [it's on me anyway]
I have been making
knives for a long time and Murph is a greenhorn. He got a nice hamon [your 1084] and I got nothing [Admirals 1084]
He was happy all over, Because he did it and I didn't.
When he left, He gave me a 5' pc of your steel and said
"try this"
. We had a great time, just knifing around all day.
Jerry

I think what got Jerry fired up was the fact that this was the first knife I've ever HT. I spent some time talking to Rusty about the proceedure I needed to use a couple of weeks prior and did a little reading up on the topic as well prior to going down to Jerry's. Thank you Rusty!

Now that I lucked up and got it (the hamon) I have to keep reminding myself what I did. I've gone over and over it in my head several times each day so I don't forget. I've also been doing a bit of reading and going back and forth to Stephan's tutorial. After reading Stephan's tutorial several times I realize what I did right (even though some of it was sheer luck).

I have another blade of the same pattern I had already started and I plan on working more on it and getting it ready for HT. I've been working on the blade I HT last weekend and realize a few mistakes I've made on it and I'm debating on rather or not to finish it or just call it a learning experience and start working on the second one. The first isn't unsalvageable but is going to take alot of hand work to get where I want it to be.

Jerry, I got some Flitz on the way and picked up a bottle of PCB at Radio Shack. Now I need to find some more sand paper. I have very little 1000 and 1200 grit. I'm going to check locally, but I'm guessing I'll have to order it to find quality paper.

Last edited:
Back