Paper Wheel

I use paper wheels from Razor Sharp. I got them at Grizzly.com for something like $30 or $40. They work really well. If you like to convex on the belt grinder, it works to use the wheel with white rouge to knock the burr off. I am pretty happy with mine.

-Mike

Hi Wayne,
I've been using the paper wheels for a few years now. In just a few minutes you can put a polished, razor edge on just about any knife. When using the grit wheel care must taken not to overheat the edge. I guess my only complaint is that I don't get "Hundreds of knives" sharpened before re-griting is necessary which is a PITA!
I think Grizzly carries them. I can't remember off hand the place I'm been buying them from but he has them in different diameters, widths, grits sizes and hole sizes.
Bryan

Here's the link where I get mine. [URL="http://stanfordoutdoors.homestead.com/"/URL] He also has some videos clips

Last edited:
Because of the potential danger referenced above I've removed my comments.
Another member suggested that I further explain why I edited my pervious post about re-gritting the paper wheels with split belts.
I was PM'd by another member that uses this technique and warned that it was dangerous unless you knew what you were doing. Since I personally have never tried it, I decided to remove the post. But some information is better than no information. My thought is that the belt could delaminate from the wheel during use and cause an un-safe situation. Since I have some wheels in need of re-gritting, I will experiment with them. If you don't hear from me again, things didn't go well!!

Last edited:
RAZOR SHARP it the only choice, I just sharpened 30 custom made knives took about 5 hours but you can shave with them . I use the paper wheels in conjuntion with 320 ,500 and 1200 grit structured abrasive norax belts . The knives that are really abused need the 320 and I go slow as to not heat up a blade dipping constantly. I am going to buy a leather stopping wheel. My next investment is a TORMEK T7 pretty much a comercial knife sharpener, it allows you to get the right angle faster when custom sharpening. I have only custom sharpened a hundred knives but I know the machine will pay off after time. The t7 runs almost a grand with the tool jigs kit and is a must. The just come out with a 4000 grit japanese water stone so ill most likey buy one when I start sharpening razors. For now buy the paper wheel off tracy you wont regret it.

Wayne,

I used to sharpen knives at a flea market using paper wheels. I found that I liked the 3/4" wheels better than the 1/2" and they seemed to work best when I slowed them down to about 600 rpm. I've been thinking about setting the rig back up to use the stropping wheel. It gives the nicest final edge I've ever seen on a knife.

Hope that helps,
Carey

I use the Razor Sharp wheels 3/4" wide, I think I got mine from Grizzly. I have a buffer I purchased from Harbor Freight set up with them and I never take them off so they stay true.

I have never been able to get a great edge from other sharpeners, but I can get a "Hair Poppin'" edge on any blade I have on the paper wheels. They are easy to get used to and it only takes me about 5 minutes to sharpen a knife.

I recommend them to anyone who wants a sharp knife and doesn't want to spend all day getting it.

I use a sharp 240-320 grit belt to establish the burr and polish it off with the cardboard wheel w/rouge. I havent used the gritted one for years.

I use mine the same as Bruce does , seldom use the gritted wheel at all. Thinking of replacing it with a leather wheel.

shop15.jpg

Bruce I agree with you its safer to use a belt like im using the norax structured abrasive and there is no danger of heating up the way I do it but on the gritted wheel you could ruin a knife when using high speeds. John I was kidding im left handed . lol

http://stanfordoutdoors.homestead.com/

Yes Dennis, and http://stanfordoutdoors.homestead.com/ has a lot of good videos. Sanford does not reverse the direction of rotation.

After watching the videos I turned my 8" wheel on my NWG to the top and sharpened just off the top/back as shown in the videos using the paper wheels. Then I put on a really worn out 400 grit belt and put buffing compound on it. I got two knives the sharpest that I had ever been able to do. Just be sure and have your safety glasses on and a hat because you are going to get a lot of stuff coming right at you.

Attachments

• Copy of Grinder 3.JPG
    Copy of Grinder 3.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
John you have the wheels backwards .

As you will find in knife making , there is no " correct " way. ;)

But that picture is not the way I use the machine , I turned it around from the way I use it so that a friend could see the speed control on the front. Nice little machine , especially when on sale at Sears for $79 :D

I haven't tried these. Looks pretty cool. I use a Norax 100X belt and after I get a burr, I go to 45X and then 16X and finish up with a leather belt loaded with green buffing compound.
-John

Back