Tapered tang

Keith Willis

I have never tried to taper a tang,and this may not be the proper way to do it.

I thought this would make a good EDC or utility knife.Let me know what you think.Is there something I should do different?Do you think the tang is to wide?

God bless,Keith

Last edited:
Looks good to me. As you get better at doing it , you can make the taper even down to a smaller size. i have seen some that go down to 1/32 of an inch. Most are done after heat treat so you won't have any warpage.

Thanks Big.I tapered it down a little more.I like tapered tangs,and hope with a little practice I'll get better.I'll post it after I get it finished.

Thanks for looking,
God bless,Keith

I really like filework Kelly,I have only tried it on a couple of knives that were scrap.It will take a lot of practice before I can try it on anything good.

God bless,Keith

Looks good Keith. How's the balance? Should make a real difference in the way it feels in the hand.

Don't forget to post it with the scales on it.

Yes JD,I would have never thought it would have made that much difference in the feel.I use to think that was just for looks,although it does look good to me,I now see it is for more than looks.

God bless,Keith

I agree that it should be tapered a bit more. I have noticed that what looks like a good taper to me, almost disappears when I put handles on. You might also have to manipulate the knife when drilling the handle to make sure the holes line up.

I think your tapered tang looks realy good! I personally don't think there is a wrong way to do it. What ever feels good to you. I think that you don't have to taper a smaller knive as much as you do a larger knife. However realy big knives can be to front heavy if they are tapered to much. You will just have to try a few and see what feels the best to you.

Great tutorial John,and you are right about wanting to taper everything.That little knife was heavy,too heavy,before tapering,it now feels great in the hand.Lots more of mine will be getting tapered.

{Quote John Barker}Now, you should hit the flats. And go back and forth with sucessive grits tapering the tang and then the flats {End Quote}

John,keep in mind I am kind of slow:D ,I just did not understand,"tapering the tang and then the flats",or are you saying,switch from the wheel,to the platen,until you get it where you want it?
Thanks for the help.

God bless,Keith

The flats are my term for the flat part on the blade ( i.e. not the area that you have ground on the wheel. In this case the part of the blade that is not the tang that you are remove the mill finish from. Hope that helps.
-Jhon

Back