They said iI could not

v-6

They said I could not cut the ceramic glass for my platen. well i ordered a new one from Tracey and I ordered it to long.
well i hooked up one of my diamond saws and cut her off.
it worked great and I glued it on to my platen.
so a person can cut them off.
vern 2guns
fixed1

you are second person that has said that. I will need to try that on my wet tile diamond saw.

I also ordered my glass too long by about 3/4"

40x Blaze- melted the glass
36x zirc belt- melted the glass.

60x Silicone Carbide belt ground the glass like butter !

It was so easy in fact that I hogged it on a 3" contact wheel then switched to a 3/4" small wheel and shaped the top edge to match the 3" wheel that's on the top of my platen. Roughly estimating there's probably .020 between the glass and wheel.

I did this so that glass supports the belt all the way to the point where the belt loses contact with the wheel. I like doing tapered tangs so this should eliminate the chances of bumping the blade against the contact wheel while working the tang.

I'm absolutly LOVING having contact wheels on my flat platen instead of idlers. I haven't really done any flat ground blades on the glass but my next 2 are gonna be flat grinds.

Just FYI. If you put a 3" wheel on the platen you'll have to do some grinding on both the platen itself and the angle iron bracket that attatches the platen to the aluminum frame to get the wheel to clear.

-Josh

Back