Identify This Wood?

J

JDB

Ok all you knife makers and lovers of wood and steel. This is a contest! Not really, more of an experiment. And you guys are the guinea pigs. ;~)

This is a knife with a new wood that I’d never used before. As you can see, it's a pretty blond wood with a lot of character. I’m posting it here and on a traditional bow site at the exact same time. The reason. Who can identify what kind of wood it is first? Bow guys or knife guys.

Just to get the tech stuff out of the way and because I know the knife guys will ask, it’s full tang, drop point skinner with a distal taper. It has white tail antler and ? wood scales. It’s 7 1/2" in overall length. The blade is about 3 1/2" long, 1 1/8” wide, just about 1/8” thick and hollow ground. It's 1080, differentially quenched and double tempered.

Ok, that’s out of the way. The clock starts ticking NOW! Let the fun begin.

JD,

JDBKnives5.jpg

Ancient Kauri

Dang Dacks! I had to look that one up...and I was almost convinced my self. Looks just like this stuff!

But nope! Not yet guys. The guys on the bow forum aren't getting it either. And there are a lot more of them than here.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

I knew the knife guys would get it! Way to go Chris. Figured Eucalyptus. Exactly so!

Well, if it ain't Kauri, then its gotta be 3/4 flitch sawn, kiln dried, fair trade, petrified Northeastern South Honduran Eucalyptus..........free range.

There ya go Dacks! I thought you were going to get it when you went to the down under woods right away.

Man you guys know your woods! I'm a hardwood lumber inspector and I'd never seen it before I found this.

Very cool.

By the way, only took 3 knife makers to get it and the count is at 24 bow guys and I just gave them a hint to try and get it.

Still nothing yet. But they are till trying.

LMAOff...as much as I'd love to, don't think I will. Don't want to cause any hard feelings.

I will say that it is one of the 2 or 3 most popular Traditional bow sites. If that helps. If it does I'm not giving too much away. ;~)

Hey guys,

Thought I'd give you an update. They finally got it about 45 minutes and 35 post after you guys did. And there were a couple of VERY talented bow makers participating too.

Knife makers rule! LOL

LOL...Me to Chris. I'd never been able to live with it if it had gone the other way.

Thanks for the compliment and participating. Way to go. This was fun. Although you guys weren't near as much fun to play with. Way....too good at woods!

I'll have to find something a little harder next time. ;~)

Cool! A maker from the land this stuff comes from. I take it you've used it before.

Actually Bruce, as far as I could tell there are only 5. But that is a good ideal with these guys. ;~)

According to the info I found to identify it there are only like 5 listed, but the figured was the only thing that matched this stuff. All from Tasmanian and Australian. Maybe you can help me out?

Do you know this variety? Does it have any characteristics that I can use to ID it. Smell, taste...anything?

Back