# 12 2-Feathers Bowie

Josh Dabney

I've got a customer who really enjoys Cowboys, Indians, and of course knives of that era so I came up with this bowie with him in mind.

I've got lot's of assistance and advice from my friends John Cohea and Wick Ellerby about utilizing period style techniques so I tought it appropriate to try out some things on this knife.

Specs-
7 1/4" 1095 with false clip
Wrought Iron guard
Whitetail antler and leather spacer handle.
Eagle head carved crown.
2-Feathers scrimshaw
Rawhide handle wrap.

Sheath is rawhide wrapped veg-tanned leather in a plains indian inspired fashion. Lots of spots and tacks. A few cones, a coupl beads, and a bunch of bells.

Knife and sheath are sole authorship.

2FeathersBowie001.jpg

2FeathersBowie005.jpg

2FeathersBowie006.jpg

2feathersbowie014.jpg

2feathersbowie015.jpg

2feathersbowie018.jpg

Thanks for looking- Josh

Very ingenious use of the crown Josh. I like it.

Nice unified package too. Well done.

Great job, Josh! The overall package looks great together, and the carved eagle is amazing.

Congrats!

Great looking knife and sheath!! Do you mind if I ask what you used to get that color on your rawhide? Thanks, Phil

Thanks for the comment fellas.

Phil- I soaked the rawhide in hot water to soften it up then removed and dryed up the water. Immediatly dye with Dark Brown Fieblings Pro-Oil dye. I use a foam brush to apply the dye till the surface stays wet and leave it sit for 5 minutes or so then wipe off any exess dye.

Apply the dye to the flesh side of the rawhide. Also use deer rawhide if you like the color variation. You'll get a kind of translucent affect that you dont get with the thicker rawhides.

Check this out if you havent seen it.

http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=1177

-Josh

Nice, I love the sheath man! Are you doing the carving and skrim work too???

Thanks for the comments Fellas,

Frank- I'm surprised I didn't show it too you at the hammer-in. I think you we're running the CNC when I had it out.

I did do the scrim and carving. Both knife and sheath are sole authorship.

The pics are pretty sucky of this one, LOL. The new owner was going into the hospital for a major surgery that could've potentially been life threatening so I finished the sheath, snapped a couple pics, and hauled it to the post office and shipped it out Next Day Air to get it there before he went.

He does love the knife and made it through surgery in fine shape.

I really enjoy trying different techniques just to feel things out.

Thanks again for the comments, Josh

Josh, That is very nice combo. The scrim and eagle is very nice. I always enjoy period knives. Thanks for sharing

Bing
MLazyB Custom knives

Josh, that is some great work I love the way that whole package came together! Outstanding!!

I'm working on a Frontier knife that hopefully will turn out as good as your effort!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Josh, I have been keeping an eye on you and I do believe that your talents have yet to show through and yet they are already amazing!!!!! 2thumbs
Love the whole thing, the knife, the sheath work is great. The scrimshaw is awesome. The only attempt I have made on scrimshaw was on cow bone and was not very successful. :( It seemed to be so hard that it was almost too hard to scratch on, so ended going back and doing it with a dremmel. I didn't like the result as well as I like the scrimshaw look!!
Keep up the great work!
rockon

Back