Exciting Times & 1st Forged Blade

Josh Dabney

Wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share my excitement

In the last week-

-I've joined the ranks of The American Bladesmith Society as an apprentice smith

-Recieved confirmation of my enrollment in the Introduction to Bladesmithing class in Texarkana (May 17th-28th)

-Attended my first Hammer/Knife- In (That I helped to organize)

-And forged my first blade with the encouragement and instruction from my friend Artistblacksmith

This is all VERY EXCITING stuff for me so I thought I'd share that with all my KnifeDogs friends

Here's a couple pics of my first forged blade. W1 steel.

KK2036.jpg

KK2037.jpg

KK2038.jpg

I'll be saving all my pennies from now till May for the trip but after that getting my hot shop set up will be my #1 priority.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to share any thoughts/experiences/advice on attending class in Texarkana.

I'm guessing flip-flops, shorts, and tank tops aren't proper attire ? LOL

Thanks- Josh

I'd highly recommend jeans and long sleeve cotton shirts for forge time at class. Congratulations on your first forged blade. Now, get it finished and show us some pics along the way.

Hey a big thank you to Todd Fischer for hosting saturdays hammer-in, I really enjoyed meeting everyone and

came away knowing alot more about knife makings ins and outs.
I was really impressed with the quality of workmanship of everyone's knives , not an ugly knife

anywhere to be found.
hope another hammer-in can be arrainged in the near future. also thanks to Josh Dabney for all his work helping to organize this event.AND CONGRATS ON YOUR CONFORMATION.
David Carter (MACLEOD)

congradulations on your confirmation, Josh and remember we want to see the finished knife. :)

Larry

Thanks for the comments fellas.

It may be a while before I get to finish this knife :(

I've got alot on my plate in the near future
2 srimshaw projects
build-off folder to make
4 knife orders and one that'll be fairly time consuming

Dang priorities, LOL

-Josh

You lucky KnifeDog! I'd love to attend the bladesmithing class at ABS. Good luck with it all.

Pat

Patrick,

I feel VERY lucky. Of all the classes being held this year the one in May at Texarkana was the only one that fit my schedule of available time.

I called the schools to find out the 2010 schedule before it was available on the web and got a gal from Texarkana to mail me the brochure so I could get registered ASAP. Even registered over the phone instead of mailing the registration form and tuition.

I was a bit paranoid that MY class would fill up before I got in so I wasn't taking any chances, LOL

-Josh

congradulations I have been trying to find the 2010 schedule can you send me a link and does it have prices I found a price chart for 2007 but would assuume it went up.

Thanks Anthony

Back