I'm In!!

Dacks

Some of you my remember that I had submitted six recently completed knives to a jury for review in consideration of accepting my work into one of Cape Breton's finest galleries.

http://www.capebretoncraft.com/

Below is a copy of the letter I just recieved!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! :D:D:D

"January 22, 2010
Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design
Product Assessment Report
Applicant’s Name: Peter McKinley
Business Name: PJM Knives

We would like to thank you Peter for submitting your handcrafted knives and knife cases for product assessment. Using the Centre’s guidelines for assessing work, submissions are reviewed carefully, and only work meeting the outlined standards are accepted into the registry.

Your work was a great pleasure to view and was unanimously accepted by the committee. The committee thought your work to be of very good quality and craftsmanship, exhibiting an excellent design sense, and a product that is well finished and is reasonably priced. The file work is well done, the knives are palm friendly and the sheaths that cover the knives are as beautifully crafted as the knives themselves. Your work was a joy to view and assess.

The committee’s only comment was to be sure to include information on caring for the knives when selling them. Acceptance into our registry will allow you to exhibit your work in the many different exhibits and venues we sponsor and co-sponsor (exhibits, tourist displays, website, etc.), and the opportunity to participate in our Christmas craft market. Further upcoming marketing and educational opportunities for assessed members will be communicated to you as they arise. We hope you will consider them. Please call the Centre if you have any questions regarding them.

Finally, if your work should change significantly in design or medium from the samples submitted we would request that you submit this new work for product assessment. For participants in our displays and exhibits, we reserve the right to ask participants to remove any work not passed by our committee.

Please don’t hesitate to call if you have any questions. Congratulations and we hope to see your work at future exhibits and events!

Sincerely,

Diane xxxxxxxx
For the Product Assessment Committee"

Congratulations, is't always good to hear about custom knives being exposed to an audience other than just us knife nuts.

Carey

Thank you all.

This is a wonderful opportunity for me. The gallery is, by far, the best of its kind on the island and likely the entire region. Its situated in downtown Sydney (largest city on Cape Breton) on a well traveled street lined with trendy stores, restaurants, large business and government buildings. It is also about eight blocks from the cruise ship docks in the harbor. We get about 20-25 cruise ships per year with passengers from all over the world.

I'd like to think this will offer exposure to a demographic with enough discretionary income to afford my work. :eek: cool 1

The gallery currently displays the work of about 80 truly extraordinary artists including the finest wood turner I've ever encountered, and a leather work artisan John Roberts ( http://www.leather-works.ca/ ) who's work was featured in the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, starring Russel Crowe.

I am joining a community of regional crafting royalty.

Now, where do I find a proper beret?

Thank you Tracy and Joe.

Yes, it is VERY cool and..... yes, I hope this will keep me occupied for quite a while. :D

Awesome job Dacks! You had nothing to worry about your knives were outstanding. Good luck.

Pat

Today I set up a display of four knives on two small shelves of a locking glass case. I will be given a whole case(4-5 shelves) on Friday when I can add two or three more to the selection.

I have four more on the bench now and then I'm out of steel. So I hope I can sell one fairly soon!:eek:

copyofgallery006.jpg

copyofgallery009.jpg

gallery007.jpg

gallery003.jpg

copyofgallery002.jpg

Last edited:
Back